Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused student looking for that vital piece of information, please help me!

1. Default bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    Last edited by connorfranks; 08-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Blog Entries

There are quite a few posts here from pros who say that formal qualifications in filmmaking mean zip when compared to experience - so your approach seems to be right. Get in as early as you can and start watching real people making real films.

They also state you have to be prepared to do ANYTHING. And that includes making the tea, sweeping the floors, running etc etc etc.

What I would suggest is that emailing firms is the wrong approach.

You have to remember that loads of people want to get into this business. Sending emails is easy so production companies must be receiving hundreds of email on a daily basis from wannabees.

Write a letter!

Old fashioned, I know, but your letter will be among only dozens of letters from wannabes that they receive per day - thus increasing your chances of it actually being read.

And phone them up. Even if it only gets you the name of the right person to write to, at least you've spoken to the company (and you never know you might just happen to get a chatty person on the other end who can tell you about the company or even be in a position to call you in)

And if possible, deliver the letter in person. You'll then get another chance to ask "I don't suppose there's anyone available I could talk to.....?"

Emails are a complete waste of time unless you are responding to something which specifically asks for an email.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I cant really help - I am a serial underachiever - but my friemds MA in film and video got her a job as an assistant editor...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    my friemds MA in film and video got her a job as an assistant editor...
    Yeah. Having you mum in the industry can help
    Tim

Blog Entries

I think you lot bully me you know !
    Even when I spell stuff right you still stalk me

Got a camcorder? If not, then get a summer job, May starts tomorrow, save up some money and buy a camcorder you can afford or borrow one from a mate. You already have a computer, Windows PC's have Windows Movie Maker or if you are a Mac user then you have iMovie. Either use a USB cable or Firewire (preferred) to connect your new camcorder up to it and transfer the shots across..... but before all that happens, you need to make some videos first and get used to camera work, script writing and directing. It is a long process, so don't expect results overnight. Keep working away at it and keep learning.

Tim Stannard has given good advice about making your application stand out from the thousands of other hopefuls, what can you offer that someone else can't, it's a rough and tumble world and not for everyone, think Simon Cowell but only 1000 times worse. The road to Pinewood and Hollywood are littered - metaphorically speaking - with the bodies of people who have tried to break into the 'industry' and failed. You need to offer them something different.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 04-30-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I think you lot bully me you know !
    Even when I spell stuff right you still stalk me
    Many of us have wives to bully us. Don't see why you should go without
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Many of us have wives to bully us. Don't see why you should go without
    Fair enough as i am currently free of the hegomony of female twiggerypotpourinlooseatness.

Blog Entries

Hi Connor,
    Yep. There are plenty here who will help you and all we ask in return is that you help us. Seriously! Pop over to the user videos section and comment on a few films.

You don't have to ingratiate yourself first. Be as rude as you like - so long as you're honest. Your opinion is as valid as the next mans.

And the user video section is where you should post your films for feedback. Create TWO threads - one for each of your films with direct links to each. Two threads isn't being greedy - it's just easier to discuss films if we stick to one film per thread.

I've watched both yours and I'm extremely impressed at these for AS level work (especially compared to some of the stuff we've seen as 1st & 2nd year university work) but I won't comment here - I'll wait until they're in the right section.

EDIT: I've just noticed you've already contributed a helpful post in another section so you're already a fully fledged member of our community. Welcome
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-30-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    Tim

most TV is made by independent companies these days. Look at a few dramas that you like and check out the credits. Then, google.

For instance, Spooks and Hustle are made by KUDOS,

Elizabeth I, The Lakes, Anna Karenina and George Gentley are made by Company Pictures

The Mark of Cain and Cassenova (the one with David Tennant) were Red Production Company.

Or just google shows and films you like and you can usually find out who made them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast