Thread: where to buy from-help!

Default where to buy from-help!

I have spent maybe 40-50 hours researching which camera to buy and its a toss up between the Canon xm2 or the Sony vx2100e which I prefer slightly. I tis for my work so I need to buy from a registered dealer. No grey imports or dodgy companies .I cant afford to have something dodgy happen. I found the canon and SOny on Amazon.co.uk for 1500ish[sterling] which is a thousand cheaper than pixmania.ie which is 2200 for the canon or creativevideo.co.uk which is 2500 euros for the Sony.[I live in Ireland]
    Any help where to buy etc? and could u give me the cheapest price you find for both cameras. I would be greatly indebted to any information you have.

Thanks very much

Brian.

Blog Entries

These are both old camera, and for that price you really shopuld be looking at HDV rather than DV solutions. Or is there a particular reason for your choice of DV as a format?

Blog Entries

It seems odd to me that to imply everyone should buy HDV just cos it is the newest thing - swine flu is new too..... And anyway AVCHD is even newer - and that rally is very poor several ways.

Consideration - yes.

HDV is a higher res format than DV but it is reckless to assume that it is always better for all people.

It is salient to point out that a very good DV camera has better perforamce and resoloution than a poor HDV camera.

HDV is also a pain to edit. If you do much editing and enjoy complex multitrack stuff then you really do need a top of the range PC to expoit the full potenbial of you and your editor.

Lets not forget that many ' old ' formats are still the format of choice for many film makers....

Also - the distribution of most films is still on DVD at standard res. This will continue for some time i think as the price of blank media is a high.

All the films I watch are on standard res DV - my eyes dont bleed.

However - if you are misguided enough to want to do weddings for money you would be well advised to get HDV camera - the wedding market is stuffed full of mooks who cant make films who instead parade thier HDV kit and sadly people seem more impressed by that than any putative, or likely non existent portfolio of work.

I guess it also depends on who you are - some people just have to have the latest thing - regardelss of any sober reflection on the pros and cons.

I am the opposite - I am suspicious of anything new - lols.

If you do really want DV considor used stuff. The cameras you mention have hours meters on so purchasing wont be ' blind ' .

Blog Entries

My post was based on the advice give by Robin in several posts, i.e. that if you're looking to get something broadcast, the most lowest common denominator is now HDV. My post is also considers that DV is now a legacy format. As with any legacy format, running costs tend to go up (cost of repair, cost of consumables). Moreover, quality for any given price tends to go down as new technology matures. However, DV has is now past maturity and those prices are the same as 4-5 years ago. to summarise:
    • DV is a legacy format
    • HDV is would be considered as the more favourable format for distribution
    • The cost of buying and maintaining DV equipment is more expensive compared to HDV for given quality of output (assuming optics are equivalent)
    Yes, there's nothing wrong with those cameras. But when offered the choice between a new phone with 3G and sat nav and one without, I know which one I'd go for. Why limit yourself unneccessarily when for the same price you can get the same, with more? I would stronly suggest that you look at new HDV cameras at the 2k price point before investing in DV.

Thanks very much for the different viewpoints.
    I think I should elaborate.
    I work for adults with learning disability and part of my job now is to make dvd's with our guys, the output is for in-house or promo stuff that would be viewed by visitors or local councils etc. Not for t.v. or proper broadcast[perhaps in the future who knows] I have E2000 tops. I edit on premiere and learnt myself, I have no colllege or training in film-making. My boss seems to think I might run into trouble if I go HD with editing and making sure everything is compatible etc. The cheapest I could find the xm2 from a reputable dealer, not grey import,was on pixmania.ie for 2200[still too expensive] except the likes of simplyelectronics who have them for 1500gbpounds around..
    I would consider the sony hd1000e too, its around 1500 Euro but single chip.
    Keep the suggestions rolling.
    Also please answer the question about where to buy cheapest in your opinion.

Thanks guys.