Thread: Old West Themed music video for folk rock band

Default Old West Themed music video for folk rock band

Last year I came across a fantastic folk band out of Topanga called Dinosaur Horses. Since, I have been following them with interest. They are mainly influenced by Neil Young, but they have a few songs that sound like Johnny Cash. I approached them in January about making a music video for them, and lo and behold, the finished product!

I tried to go for the High Noon look and feel, and think it turned out pretty well. The camera was a Canon XHA1, but with the Redrock adapter and lenses. Please tell me what you think, and if you dig the music, subscribe to the band. Thanks.

Also, rumor has it that they will not perform at Topanga Days Music Festival if they do not make it on the main stage. So if you like them, please vote for them at

TOPANGA DAYS Country Fair 2009
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 04-30-2009 at 12:09 AM.

The video has been removed.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes -

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Try this one.

I really liked it, for the most part. I had to watch it back again to get a feel for what happened, and I'm still not 100% on it, but that isn't entirely a bad thing :P A few minor things I think kind of marred the flow of the video though. One being the zoom in on the guys face towards the end of the video. It kind of took me out of it. I dunno if it was intended to add drama or be funny or something, but it didn't come across for me :P Another being the cuts back to the 7 guys walking.. I think were a little, clunky.

That being said, I really liked the song and thought the overall feel of the video went really well with it :]

Haywards Heath, West Sussex, UK

My take on the story is that its a bunch of outlaws being hunted by one man or a sheriff ? I am a little confused and actually it stopped me listening to the track a little.

Some of the scenes look very good and convincing, i.e. where the man is gunned down on the rail road tracks. Others dont work as well e.g. the town scenes, albeit its the acting rather than the backdrop.

The use of a bicycle jarred a little until I remembered Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I thought I saw motor vehicle tracks in the sand where he was riding the bike and shooting, but it may have been the puny screen I am watching on at the moment. If they are there then it would spoil the period feel of the film.

The last scene where someone is apparently hanging had me thinking well what on earth have they hung him from in a barren desert? The backdrop of them men against his boot was nice however you had used similar shots of the group and that had conveyed open desert which is what made me think of that.

I dont know how many music videos you have produced but I think all in all its a good result and way better than anything I could have done. Thanks for posting.