Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new system ? (advice please)

Default Time for a new system ? (advice please)

First off, apologies for another one of these type posts but i really need some help here....

I'm thinking of getting a new system to repace my current one which is as follows …….

AMD Athlon 64 Dual core 4600+ 2.4 GHZ
    2GB Ram
    300 GB hard drive
    Nvidia geforce 7600 gs graphic card(256mb)
    Widows XP home edition service pk 2

Is the following system a worthwhile up grade ? will it be much quicker at rendering etc and will it cope with mpeg4 footage?

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor
    2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache
    6GB RAM Memory
    750GB SATA hard drive
    Blu-Ray player and DVD Rewriter
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce 9300GS
    Windows vista home premium

My current system wont recognise HD footage from my Sony camcorder (captured with premiere elements 4) and just about copes with MPEG4 footage captured on a SD card.... so long as your not doing anything jazzy with the footage

2. Default

24" apple imac you won't regret it..... & FCE HD
    ...why do weddings always attract at least one TWAT who ask the most obvious questions......SO, YOURE THE DVD MAN THEN....!

can you be more specific about what componats you want?

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    can you be more specific about what componats you want?
    It is a ready built unit. Not going down the home/custom built path again. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor
    2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache
    Very powerfull although a q6600 would be cheaper, just as economical (95w, a light bulb) and it has the best price to power ratio. it also overclocks brilliantly. but a Q8200 is still very good.
    6GB RAM Memory
    Nice, you need to get a 64bit operating system
    750GB SATA hard drive
    To edit HD video you will need 3 hard drives. one for the operating system. 2 in a raid 0 configuration for your projects and HD captures and renders. Whoever builds this pc should be able to set this up for you.
    Blu-Ray player and DVD Rewriter

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce 9300GS
    Maybe a bit much?
    Windows vista home premium
    Make sure you get the 64bit version so that it will see and use all of the systems ram.

That system will render a lot faster and it should cope with MPEG4 footage with no problems

anymore questions?

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    Very powerfull although a q6600 would be cheaper, just as economical (95w, a light bulb) and it has the best price to power ratio. it also overclocks brilliantly. but a Q8200 is still very good.

Nice, you need to get a 64bit operating system

To edit HD video you will need 3 hard drives. one for the operating system. 2 in a raid 0 configuration for your projects and HD captures and renders. Whoever builds this pc should be able to set this up for you.

Maybe a bit much?

Make sure you get the 64bit version so that it will see and use all of the systems ram.

That system will render a lot faster and it should cope with MPEG4 footage with no problems

anymore questions?
    If anything is a bit much it's the RAM, video editing is more CPU intensive, and 6GB as you say would require a motherboard and operating system that support it. 4 GB dual channel is Vista's sweetspot.
    The processor is good, i use that and get good results. (consider advanced cooling so you can overcklock - DONT try and OC with stock cooler)
    I agree that multiple HDD's is good, so make sure the motherboard can support more than 2. Id reccomend a smaller one for your OS (160 or w.e) then 1 or 2 500GB's (500gb is best value at the moment) and make sure they are at LEAST 7200rpm. It's not vital to set them up in RAID 0 but is a good idea.
    I'd say get a better graphics card than that, doesnt have to be 9000 series. I reccomend a 512mb 8600GT for performace vs value.
    For all this id suggest a beefier powersupply (with fan would be good)... 600watt should do!

Good luck

Thanks for the advice fellas ..... you talked me into it, i ordered it today.

As i said this is a ready built production line PC, so no overclocking or upgrades untill the warrantys out

Had a bad experience with a custom jobby in the past .... it spent more time being repaired than being used.... i vowed never again.

@ benesotor, i read that graphiocs cards are not ultimatly important where video editing is concerened and as i wont be gaming on this PC (or any other) i think the card will be OK, yeah ??

Thanks for the advice fellas ..... you talked me into it, i ordered it today.

As i said this is a ready built production line PC, so no overclocking or upgrades untill the warrantys out

Had a bad experience with a custom jobby in the past .... it spent more time being repaired than being used.... i vowed never again.

@ benesotor, i read that graphiocs cards are not ultimatly important where video editing is concerened and as i wont be gaming on this PC (or any other) i think the card will be OK, yeah ??
    You're right that it doesnt play a big part, although with playback of very large files that havnt been redered yet, a powerful graphics card can help keep it smooth.
    I only really suggested the 512mb 8600gt as its very cheap nowerdays, can get one for about £40-£50.

Blog Entries

" To edit HD video you will need 3 hard drives. one for the operating system. 2 in a raid 0 configuration for your projects and HD captures and renders. Whoever builds this pc should be able to set this up for you. "

Sorry, but to state this as a fact is misleading - it is not a fact that you need raid 0 to edit HDV, or DV or AVCHD.

The data rate of DV and HDV is 3.5 mbyte / sec - most drives in most systems can run at 50 to 100 mbyte / sec.

Raid 0 is also twice as likely to suffer catastrophic data loss as data is shared not mirrored. One drive breaks, bye bye treasured video.

Raid 1 is however wise.

sorry not hdv avchd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast