Thread: help with hi8 tape conversion

Default help with hi8 tape conversion

good day! as my first post, i would like to post a question.. i have a DCR-TRV350 (i know it's kind of outdated but it has a sentimental value for me) and ever since i have been recording on hi8 tapes.. i wanted to use the memory stick but i noticed that the quality is not so great.. i playbacked the tapes on our tv and the quality is great.. my problem is whenever i try to convert it into mpeg or avi format, the quality is reduced (pixels are seen everywhere).. i figured that shooting indoors is the reason, so i converted videos that were shot outside under the bright sun.. but to my dismay, the results are more or less the same.. i am using the usb cable as my connection and cyberlink powerdirector as my video capture and editing software.. can you give me some suggestions to how to convert the tapes properly? i wanted the tapes to be converted on to many shops out there but the problem is, they charge a hefty amount.. hoping for your reply.. thank you!

Blog Entries

Is the camera hi8 analogue yes ?

If so the quality of the pictire in the pc is dependant on the quality of the digital conversion - most cards are rubbish.

A good a to d box is about 150 and the name of the brand... I have forgotten - avd or adc or avc i think.

i see.. so i need to buy some hardware for the conversion to be perfect? i thought we capture feature of cyberlink's powerdirector is enough.. i dont know if this is helpful but my pc is a core 2 duo 2.66, 2gb of ram and 512mb nvidia video card..

Blog Entries

Pc is fine.

I have used only one cheap capture card and it was rubbish.

The other way is to get a dv camera with a analogue video in - then use that to digitise and capture from - DV cams cheap on e bay.

There is a sticky on the camera section i think with a link to a lsit of suitable cameras.

SOme cheap dvd recorders can digitise to dvd from analogue sources too - I have tried this on a 60 quid recorder from tesco and it worked really well.

Hi 8 or Digital 8 which one are you using as you say you are using a USB cable to connect it to your computer? Make and model number please?

as stated, my videocam is a sony dcr trv-350.. regarding the tapes, all i know is that i also buy it from the sony store here and it says on the label hi8mp.. but also, there's a part that states, 120video hi8 and 60digital8.. i'm guessing those are the video recording modes.. just dont know any details regarding that one..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Pc is fine.

There is a sticky on the camera section i think with a link to a lsit of suitable cameras.
    could you post the link here please? im kind of new to his forum and im still adjusting to this interface..