Thread: Poetry and video.

Blog Entries

Default Poetry and video.

' Amusing reflections on the demise of victorian cottages '

I wrote the poem in 1999. There was lots in the local news about public toilets getting closed.

Contains wordy rudeness only.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/publictoilets.wmv 3mbit

Last edited by Mark W; 04-28-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Loads more thought went into this than may at first be apparent - although I hope it makes it something persuasive still.

Note huge dof - usually I am mr shallow.
    No zoom, no pan, no tracking.
    Lots of attention to composition. All shot are deliberately composed with a strong centre vertical in the hope that this gives it a very arresting and weird vibe.

Edit points carefuly chosen.

5 black frames of black between many shots where they dont link in another way.

For ages I have wanted to do a film like this but I wanted to do that john betcheman poem about slough, in slough - " come friendly bombs and fall on slough, it's not fit for people now " - great poem.

I still might as i really like the poetry video thing.

Blog Entries

Now avaialable for your viewing pleasure on you tube.

4. Default

I really liked it - shows how the simple approach can often be the most effective! Now if this were a poetry forum ... well, I'd rip into it but seeing as though we're about video, I'll say cheers, nice production

Blog Entries

Thanks - I will stick to Betcheman from now on then - truly it isnt quite iambic pentameter but i am still plesed with the line that rhymes palaces and phalluses - lols.

The Victorians certainly knew how to build their bogs, nice brick work by the way, the pointing is second to none.

Blog Entries

Very good. It might just appeal to one of the TV channels "shorts" features.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Ya think? Thanks !

I suppose it's quirky enough to maybe find a slot. But i dont really do all that self promotion thing that well.

I will get the sound changed to some acoustic guitar from my muso friend and bung it up to 4 docs - it may not be long enough, I think they want 3 to 5 mins - will check.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Ya think? Thanks !
    I think it has just the right mixture of arty and earthy. The shots are intriguing - everyday views which we see time & time again but never actually look at against a matter of fact narration about the fate of victorian lavatories which neither condemns nor glorifies the reasons for their closure, in language which is neither prissy nor shocking.
    I hope its up for VOTM so that all seven of us can vote for it.
    Tim