Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help setting my pricing

1. Default Help setting my pricing

Hi,

As some of you know, I own a video editing studio, home based. I live in the United States and looking to get help on my pricing. Here is my website so far

HomeTown Editing

Haven't bought the domain for it yet, but you can comment on it. I still need a portfolio section.

As for my pricing page, I threw that stuff on there, I have no idea what people normally charge for this stuff. Can anyone help me create package deals or single pricing?

Looking at your website it doesn't say video produciton service to me. It looks more like a site about stately homes or parks or old houses. Calling it an editing service is limiting for what you are offering and therefore I would change it to A Full Digital Video Production Service and then add in the services you supply. The services should be listed on the homepage, in webpage design you want to get the visitor around in as few clicks as possible, and when they hit your homepage, they can see what it is you offer and can decide there and then if they want to hire you.

Is the url the domain name or is it going to be Home Town Editing? If it is the domain name, then it needs to be changed, you have to hook the potential customer right from the word go and that url with the word rodgame may not be the best choice. Also when you are on the homepage you can remove the link to the homepage as it will just confuse visitors and it's the same with the other pages, the link on the page can be taken off. I don't know what pricing is like in America at present but you are offering a lot in that Package One and only charging $50 per hour, you may want to rethink that one?

3. Default

Hi, and thank you for your comments.

I stated that I haven't bought the domain name yet. I am using my personal website to host currently, but won't be showing it to customers until the new one is up and running.

If there is no link to the homepage, how will anyone get back to the main page?

What I mean is you don't need a link on the page you are currently viewing for that page. In other words when you are on the Homepage or any other page for that matter you don't need a link to that same page.

5. Default

Oh ok I see.

6. Default

I would look at your prices, translating US to GBP $50 seems a little shallow in the price I personally would start around the $70 per hour. Have you targeted a market? is it aimed at public or business services.
    ...why do weddings always attract at least one TWAT who ask the most obvious questions......SO, YOURE THE DVD MAN THEN....!

Blog Entries

I'm not entirely sure why camerawork with editing should be charged at a different rate from editing only.

Sure, there are different skills required, but wouldn't it make more sense to charge camerawork at one rate and editing at another?
    Tim

Blog Entries

Packages are the preserve of wedding videographers where the restrictive and repetitive nature of the work lends itself to such presentation.

I think for most jobs it is better to discuss the clients aspirations and quote for each job specifically.

9. Default

I agree with Mark, but figuring out how much is the problem. Like let's say it takes an 5 hours at $50/hour for a video so $250.00 then I have to subcontract out for animation for the video at $30/hour for 4 hours of work. $120 - $250 = $130.00. So I have to figure a way to add on an extra amount for anything I subcontract out to. Professional photographs or animation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fayt View Post
    I agree with Mark, but figuring out how much is the problem. Like let's say it takes an 5 hours at $50/hour for a video so $250.00 then I have to subcontract out for animation for the video at $30/hour for 4 hours of work. $120 - $250 = $130.00. So I have to figure a way to add on an extra amount for anything I subcontract out to. Professional photographs or animation.
    Yep. That's basicaly the way it works in any business where the service is custom made for the client. Dont't forget to factor in enough to cover the cost of doing this.

As an IT consultant I often spend MUCH more time investigating on my own time rather than the clients'.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast