Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encore not Maximizing Burn Speeds

Default Encore not Maximizing Burn Speeds

Hi, I noticed tha Encore does not Maximize (or give me options in choosing) the burn speeds of my DVD burner ( a Lite-On). It only allows 2x burning, but my Burner has max speeds of 8x for write & 4x for re-write.

In my Burner manual, it said that this can happen if I do not use the authoring sofware that came with my Burner (which is Sonic DVD). However, does anyone here know any fix with this issue.

I tried going to the Lite-On site for a possible update, but it doesn't have any. Do you guys know of a fix for this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you tried different brands of media?

I had some DVDs that would only burn at 2.4x on my 8x drive too. changing the discs sorted that.

Yes, well it's just a couple...maybe not a good sample though. How many did you try before you found the right one?

Thanks for the quick response!

Quite likely this problem is du to the blank media in question. I suspect most of us have stumbled on this one at one time or another.

However, depending on the version of Encore you are using and the make of burner you have, there is a known bug in Encore that sounds similar to this - although, from memory, it's Pioneer drives and you are limited to only 1x speed.

The work around (if you see this) is to build a DVD image to your hard drive and then using external burning software (e.g. Nero) to burn your disks from that.

Personally I adopt this approach all the time for all my Encore projects so that I do not have to fire up Encore if I wish to make further copies the next day. In truth I've never used Encore to do any burning, always Nero - even more so since I heard about the 1x writing bug!

Also, burning the DVD image to your HDD lets you do a 'real' preview of you disk avoiding another 'coffee mat' if things went wrong.

Hey, that's a great tip Millsy! Thanks! The extra step might just be worth a try, even though the real time-consuming part is the transcoding, not the burning. A great idea indeed for making multiple copies.

I guess I would be using the ISO option in Encore to do this. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by komarx
    I guess I would be using the ISO option in Encore to do this. Thanks again.
    I don't have it in front of me but from memory that is NOT the option to use. No need to build an ISO file. You need the option to simply build a copy of the DVD to your HDD, i.e. the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. then in Nero you can just drag and drop the files in your VIDEO_TS folder into the Nero version.

Blog Entries

I don't have it in front of me but from memory that is NOT the option to use
    The easiest thing* to do is to create an image file. One file, and about three clicks to burn. Simplicity itself.

*this may not be true

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikefishcake
    I had some DVDs that would only burn at 2.4x on my 8x drive too. changing the discs sorted that.
    Were they 2.4x discs? :twisted:

I still have a batch of those little buggers left that I use for burning short length video DVDs. Waiting for a full disc to burn at 2.4x is not fun (and I can't do more than one thing at once, so I have to sit there and wait for it to burn before you ask (why do women claim to have a monopoly on being able to do more than one thing at once (especially when men also have a reputation for two-timing if women are also to be believed (I'm a bitter, bitter, man))).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I don't have it in front of me but from memory that is NOT the option to use
    The easiest thing* to do is to create an image file. One file, and about three clicks to burn. Simplicity itself.
    Agreed! However, I persoanlly choose to build the VIDEO_TS directory because I like to preview the VOB files before burning.

And as for...
    *this may not be true
    ROFLMAO, make me wonder if I should add a disclaimer of my own to my signature. Something along the lines of (and this is the clean version by the way!) "The views and opinions expressed above may prove to be total nonsense!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by millsy
    ROFLMAO, make me wonder if I should add a disclaimer of my own to my signature. Something along the lines of (and this is the clean version by the way!) "The views and opinions expressed above may prove to be total nonsense!"
    This was borrowed from Mike (and he's not having it back). He has a habit of writing disclaimers in his post in x-small. He would also ask if you were actually rolling on the floor laughing in his capacity as 'Mr Pendantic 2004'. But I know you did. Because at any given moment it's highly likely that you are rolling around on the floor. It's what Berkshire is famous for. Or should that be, "It is for what Berkshire is famous". Does that even make sense now? It's something for which Berkshire is famous. There, that's better.

I am bored as I have twinged my hamstring and can't go running

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast