Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which one? dv tape vhs, hd

Unhappy which one? dv tape vhs, hd

I'm just starting out and I have been reading your replys. Which is better and how do I tell one from the other. sd/ dv hd/ vhs etc? How do I know if a camera is tape or disk? Do'es the name tell me? Sorry to be dumb but I must know. Thanks guys Grant.

Blog Entries

The names / letters / numbers vary - you usually need to read the specs to be sure.

Nothing is vhs as that is old old.

DV - standard ( good normal tv pic ) resoloution, tapes, weel cheap, well good, easy to edit.

HDV - higher definition, tapes, cost more, well good, not so easy to edit - faster pc needed,

AVCHD - higher definition, records to a hard drive, very slow to edit - top of the range pc needed. Only advisable if you hate tapes and are unlikely to do much editing.

Avoid dvd cameras as thay can be flaky.

Cheap cameras, less than 100 that record to sd cards are toys for children.

Hope that helps.

Smile akai pv-c 100e

Thanks for the info on which tape v's cd etc, great. A mate has given me this akai to try. It has no battery (that's no problem) but no instruction book. It says in the tape cover HQ VHSC pal, are these tapes available and are they good for semi broadcast? Doe's the tape cover open when power is turned on?
    You blokes are terrific, thankyou!
    Grant

"VHSC pal, are these tapes available and are they good for semi broadcast?"... lol. Sorry I couldn't help but laugh at that, are you serious? VHS and VHS-C are old analogue video tapes, we are all using digital equipment now, yes you can still get those tapes but you cannot connect the camcorders up to a computer to edit the video you recorded without a lot of pissing about with cables and breakout boxes. Then it has to be converted to digital so it can be edited on the computer.

Thanks for that! What about beta? It's been suggested to me that beta is old but can be edited in digital.
    I'm in the bush and I really want to shoot short films in the opal fields, while I have a no budget. That's why I asked stupid questions, because as far as I'm concerned without you people and your help, I will be dreaming for the rest of my life.
    Thankyou again Grant

Grant - you really need to use Mini DV, HDV or an SD-card based camcorder. Forget analogue video tape.

Mini DV is easiest to edit, then HDV. Most decent SD-card based camcorders will record in AVCHD though, which can be a real pain to edit, unless you've got a very high speed dual core computer, or preferably a quad core on.

For the love of god though - Do not use a hard drive based camcorder. They're not very robust at all and don't react well to vibrations or any knocking about. You can get 16GB SD cards for not much money. 32GB ones are quite a lot more, but you can fit loads of footage on a 16GB card anyway.

For broadcast quality though? Depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend?

(by the way, don't get mixed up with SD cards (Secure Digital) and SD video (Standard Definition)
    Last edited by Mike Thorpe; 04-28-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Unhappy vhsc/ vhs

Thanks that's great advise. I have two vhs systems one is a panasonic wvp 100n + pack and the other is an akai pv-c 100e. The advice is not good from you guy's but can I still get a good pic?
    When I can afford a dv/ mini/ hdv etc. I sure will get one, thanks again.
    Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe View Post
    Grant - you really need to use Mini DV, HDV or an SD-card based camcorder. Forget analogue video tape.

Mini DV is easiest to edit, then HDV. Most decent SD-card based camcorders will record in AVCHD though, which can be a real pain to edit, unless you've got a very high speed dual core computer, or preferably a quad core on.

For the love of god though - Do not use a hard drive based camcorder. They're not very robust at all and don't react well to vibrations or any knocking about. You can get 16GB SD cards for not much money. 32GB ones are quite a lot more, but you can fit loads of footage on a 16GB card anyway.

For broadcast quality though? Depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend?

(by the way, don't get mixed up with SD cards (Secure Digital) and SD video (Standard Definition)
    Thanks Mike, I have the chance of getting a sony mini dv- dcr-hc17e handycam. Would this give me a better chance of getting good pic's as well do a short film?
    Thanks again, Grant

Broadcast quality? No chance. Youtube quality - yeah, probably, as long as you've got decent light conditions. And use an external microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe View Post
    Broadcast quality? No chance. Youtube quality - yeah, probably, as long as you've got decent light conditions. And use an external microphone.
    Again thankyou, I have to geta mini dv/ hdv or I will bust. Now if have to get a cheap used one and try to go an rehearse a short film!
    Thanks Grant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast