Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Build

Default Computer Build

Hi im building a computer for video editing and mixing. Ive an idea of the processor and memory requirements ill get but one thing i would like to do is take feeds from 2/3 live cameras and control which of them is output on a projector. What sort of hardware and software would i need to do this?

you would need a dual core computer at least. you'd need analog capture card as dv/firewire has a 0.6 second delay which is noticable in live productions. fine if your broadcasting out of the room otherwaise no... you will need some software like medialook's vision mixer. google it. i have used the sample program and it is very good, you don't really need anything else. you of course don't need to use that exact software, there are other altertnatives aswel..

Default Video

So if i want to take feeds from 4 different cameras do i need 4 cards? what is a good type of card to get?

yes four cards unless the card has multiple inputs, i wouldn't risk it though. usb capture cards seem to be fairly good nowadays anyway.

Blog Entries

^^^ Do you mean fire wire cards ?

no. firewire has a half a second delay which is very noticeable in live events. fine if your broadcasting from a studio but bad for live events..

Default Video

The computer has to be capabale of producing 1920 X 1080 video (not sure on the exact spec of resolution but its similar to that) does this affect the capture cards or is it all down to the graphics card?

Blog Entries

I think running 3 or 4 analogue capture cards will cause timing probs maybe, and using analogue captue will damage quality I would have tht.

And if all f wire cards have a slight delay - why does that matter?? So long as the person mixing ONLY pays attention to thier monitors it would work I think.

mark does have a point although it can be a bit distracting for the audience. try a test run.

to get 1080p you can't use analog capture cards anyway so that's that out of the window.

graphics card has little to do with it i'm afraid, it's about the capture card

Blog Entries

oh, my bad, didnt relaise it was live with the live thing too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast