Thread: Picture Motion Browser stopped working after Vegas was installed!

Question Picture Motion Browser stopped working after Vegas was installed!

AVCHD m2ts files played perfectly in Picture Motion Browser prior to installing Vegas Movie Studio 9....now all I get is audio and black screen.

And in MSV9 the preview box is choppy...I have tried to set view to Basic 1/4 size to no affect?

Are there any Sony boffs that have experienced this prob or know how to fix?
    Cheers
    Jay

Blog Entries

Editing AVCHD video in it's native form requires the most cpu power of any foramt commonly encountered and many people find this very vexing.

For some odd reason the compression algorithm is a bitch to edit on - lord knows why they did it that way as it renders the video almost uneditable. This is what is causing excessive preview slowdown.

To ease matters make sure the project has the same settings as the media.

You really do need 4 fast cores to edit avchd natively and even then it is a pain.

Many people transcode to a more editable format - like HDV.

Or you could do youself a real favour and get rid of the camera and get a tape based HDV camera - these are much better.

Cant help with your other issue.

Thanks for the response Mark...very vexing indeed!

What is really frustrating is that it WAS working.
    I actually ran the 30 day trial and everything worked with great results...now that I have purchased the ridgy didge program from a retailer it has shit the biscuit!

I have read similar probs with other programs but none of them suggested any resolve.

If I find an answer I will be sure to post it for future reference.
    Regards
    Jay

Blog Entries

Try installing a codec pack - nimo - nemo ? Google will find.

I guess it may be that the clip browser messed with a codec vegas wants to use - maybe?

Blog Entries

But ceate a restore point first - rarely installing a codec pack can create the very problems you are trying to fix.

I did some more research and found someones solution.

"I right-clicked on the desktop, selected properties to pull up the "Display Properties" window. I then clicked the "Settings" tab and then clicked the "Advanced" button. On the Plug and Play Monitor window, I clicked the "Troubleshoot" tab. This gave me the hardware acceleration options. After playing with this, I determined that when I moved the accelator from full down to the third option ("Displable all DirectDraw and Direct3d accelerations, as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations. Use this setting to correct sever problems with DirectX accelerated applications."), the color problem was solved!"

Did what they said and Ticketty Boo! – moved it down to half and now PMB and Vegas Movie Studio now work – still have the flickering in the latter but when I burn to Disc it plays perfectly.

Happy as a pig in the ol proverbial!

Just a quick question. You say it was working perfectly when running the trial (downloaded presumably) but after installing the retail copy didn't?

Did you update to the latest version? Download was probably 9.0b, retail copy may not have been. In the release notes for 9.0b is the following:

Improved HDV/AVCHD reading

Maybe worth a look.

Good point Andy E,

I will have a look at the version. It may resolve the flicker.
    Cheers