Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which software to get?

Default Which software to get?

Hi everybody!

I am just starting out with video editing. What I want to do is edit pieces of existing movies, an example of which would be something like this combination of once upon a time in the west and arcades fire's my body is a cage

What would be the best tool for this kind of video editing? Also, if I want to rip one of my dvd's, what would be the best program to use and what video format would be the best for further editing on my computer?

I am considering to buy an adobe student package where among other things I will get premiere pro. Good choice?

ole

premier is a very powerful video editing solution and you shouldn't come across any problems. there are quite a few topic around this forum now explaing how to rip dvds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    ..there are quite a few topic around this forum now explaing how to rip dvds.
    If there is, they should have been removed. This site takes a dim view of ripping off material and strongly enourages filming of your own material.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with premier especially for just home stuff .... but If you're looking to develop into a professional editor making tv and the like you should consider a freebie-type version of final cut or avid - something like Avid express or FCP express... simply on the grounds that those bits of software are most extensively used in the broadcast industry and learning them is a good career move.

premiere is fine for professional productions. after all it's not the the program, it's the editer behind it.

Final Cut or Avid are no big deal, Adobe Premiere can hold it's own when it come to producing video for either home viewing or for broadcast tv. Let me guess you're a Mac fan?

Default Further thoughts..

Thanks for the replies everybody. By the way, I use windows, and do not plan to work as a professional video producer, this is just a hobby for me. To Andy Lockwood, I agree with you that you should not rip off other peoples work, but at the same time I do not see anything wrong in doing videos like the one I linked to in my original post. After all, sampling is used extensively in the music industry. As long as your making something original from others peoples work and at the same time give them credit for their work, I am all for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    If there is, they should have been removed. This site takes a dim view of ripping off material and strongly enourages filming of your own material.
    Now where is my fence....

Copy insted of buy a film - not good.
    Copy to sell - criminal.
    Copy to edit - like a fan thing - I aint got no issue with that - it can be a very creative process.

So it may have been me that has occasionally said how to decrypt dvds - it all dpends on the context.

well i know i've told people twice now so... lol

I totally agree - it's not about software and it's hardly about platforms - fill your boots with the cheapest ones you can find and have fun.

BTW - it's legal to copy music or a DVD you've bought if that copy is of a purchased original and the copy is for your personal home use.
    Cutting it up and incorporating it into a new work though is naughty....

I don't see the copyright police descending on anyone for it though..... unless it's making you a heap of money.. then they might get interested... 'twas ever thus......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast