Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RED One Editing System challenge

1. Default RED One Editing System challenge

Hi all.

Really need some help here. I'm interested in building a rig that will be able to handle HD footage from the RED One cam.

I've heard that the footage can be edited on weaker machines by using a special add-on for premiere and mac that allows it to be edited in a lower resolution.

To make it even simpler, could anyone here explain and recommend the hardware needed to handle and process HD footage from the red one?

I work primarily with PC's and intend on using Adobe CS4.

Thanks in advance.

If your working on a pc then i'd say get vegas pro 9, being released on may 11th, it can use the raw files from red.

Paul.

i don't see why premiere wouldn't be able to edit red one camera files. Isn't Red One 4K though? you would need a very powerfull machine.

the "special Add-on" i think your on about is the Matrox RT.X2 - Overview

4. Default

Thanks for the quick response guys.

@pkbristol: I've heard a lot of good things about Vegas Pro and it does look like holds a lot of promise but its just that Adobe CS4 is better established and adobe has really worked on synergy between their suite of applications. I find it more comfortable handling mixed media on a set of apps that are integrated together at some leve. But I will definitely check out vegas pro as well.

@smifis: Thanks for letting me know about the Matrox. I just want to clear up a few things for myself.

1: Will a card like the Matrox RT .X2 be a necessity while working with 4k resolutions/red native res? Or can I get away on raw CPU/GPU power alone?

2: Adobe touted a lot about multi core enhancements, 64 bit implementation, and GPU assisted processing with regards to CS4. Could this things, like having a powerful GPU remove the need for the card?

3: Could someone please direct me to some kind of spec list for a system worthy of the Red One?

once again, thanks.

<edit> just saw this on the red website and it seems really hard to believe. Could someone please shed some light on this as well? These are suppposed to be the minimum requirements needed to edit RED footage.

Mac:
    Intel 2.0 dual core or better
    ATI graphics card is ideal however I have run tests on NVIDIA in the new MBP and MacPro and it seems to work fine.
    OSX 10.4 or newer.
    7200 RPM Hard Drive
    PC:
    Intel 2.0 dual core or better
    NOTE: you can use AMD processors but they need to be MODERN AMD, which would have to be a fairly recent release as I believe they are behind just a bit on Intels.
    NVIDIA graphics card, this is important on the PC as ATI cards are known to cause conflicts. 8600GT or better will work.
    XP with SP2
    7200 RPM Hard Drive.
    Last edited by chattha; 04-24-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: New info

you do not need the matrox to edit but it is suppost to take some of the load of the cpu.

i found this video which might be helpfull How to edit Red One Camera Footage with CS4 Premiere | Wonder How To

to edit 4k footage i would suggest at least a quad core computer. hexcore (8 core) would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    to edit 4k footage i would suggest at least a quad core computer. hexcore (8 core) would be better.
    Wouldn't 8 core be octocore, as hex means six?

yes sorry, mustof been a hard day

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    yes sorry, mustof been a hard day
    We all have those....

But in terms of editing red one footage, why not use something that'll set up "proxy" based footage (low resolution footage in place of the real footage, you can edit on it, then when you render it'll use the real 4k stuff).

I know my Adobe Premier that I had a long time ago let me do that with HD stuff (take the hd footage and edit on regular res stuff).

i thought they got rid of the proxy in version 2.0

Blog Entries

It would be madness to try to edit raw 4k files without proxies and edl.

The red is also only a camera that makes any sense to a very skilled user - are you sure you are that user ?

99% of people will be best advised to get a ' normal ' camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast