Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flickery Video on my PC

Default Flickery Video on my PC

Hi there. I've been reseaarching this issue for ages now and am hoping someone out there can help put the jigsaw pieces together.

The problem is burning a DVD. I can capture DV fine, the resultant AVI file I have looks great and plays beautifully. But, when I edit it and burn to DVD, the image playback is flickery / stuttery. When the camera shot pans at all, the image stutters/judders.
    I've recently been watching Sky online through the same machine and have noticed the same issue occurs.

My specs are as follows:-
    - AMD Athlon XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, 2.1GHz
    - Windows XP Pro
    - nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE with 128M RAM
    - Up to date DirectX & nVidia drivers
    - New Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D
    - Full Defrag
    - Separate drives for my burning (Nero) /editing (Ulead Visal Studio 10) software to the Video file.

What I have noticed is that when I'm watching Sky, the CPU is running VERY hot, @ 95%.
    When I view Sky in full screen, the problem is twice as bad.
    When I boot in safe mode and do the same, it runs at 80% and the stuttering is slightly improved.

My assumption is that my CPU is the bottleneck here and just can't process quick enough.

Can anyone help? Does my assumption sound correct and if so, is there an option for me other than to buy a new PC ?

Any help will be HUGELY appreciated.

Blog Entries

My first guess is that you have a tv that is set to progressive - on many tvs progressive looks crap unless it is ' upscaled ' to a faster virtual frame rate.

Interlace is best in nearly all situations at 24/5 fps.

My second guess is that you are deinterlacing to progressinve in the edit - dont.

My third guess is that you have the inrelaced field order wrong - should be ' lower fild first.

My fourth geuss is you are shooting in progressive - dont - it takes skill and focus to use well.

As for pans - they will always look jerky above a certain speed.

Thanks Mark for your suggestions/help.
    I've dug into them and have found:-
    1. I can't find a setting on the TV for Progressive or Interlaced. Below are the specs for it however. I did discover that the refresh rate on my PC was set to 75Hz, not 60Hz as the TV recommends

2. You are right about deinterlacing. "Image Capture Deinterlace" is checked. I will uncheck this.

3. Yes, the interlaced field order was wrong, was set to "Upper Field First"

4. Not checked what format I'm shotting in, I've not changed any settings on the camcorder but will look into it.

However ...... having said all of that, watching Sky Online is still stuttery - the exact same problem I see when I burn a DVD.

I will change, re-capture then re-burn a copy to see what happens .... but d'you have any further thoughts ?

TV Specs that I forgot to add....

Model Name SyncMaster 940MW
    LCD Panel
    Synchronization
    Horizontal 30 ~ 61 kHz
    Vertical 56 ~ 75 Hz
    Resolution
    Optimum resolution WXGA+ 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
    Maximum resolution WXGA+ 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
    Input Signal, Terminated
    RGB Analog, DVI(Digital Visual Interface)
    Composite Digital RGB, 0.7Vp-p5%, Positive bright, 75Ω10%(terminated),
    Separate H/V sync, Composite,TTL level, positive or negative
    TV / Video
    Color system NTSC-M, PAL-M/N, PAL/SECAM - L/L',B/G,D/K,I
    Video format S-Video, Composite, Component, Built-in-Tuner, PIP
    Maximum Pixel Clock 81 MHz

One other thing I forgot to add - I'm connecting from PC to TV through the DVI port.

Blog Entries

The changes in the edit should fix.

However I have found that pc to dv can give unreliable resutls - I cant get mine to look right.

Hi Mark. Unfortunately the changes you suggest have made little or no difference.
    The picture still judders/stutters from time to time. It's whenever the camera pans atall. It doesn't have to be a significant movement and it's not consistent either. Sometimes movement is smooth and other times not.

Any other ideas?
    Many thanks, Stuart.

Blog Entries

Specifically - when does it look jerky - I mean what are you viewing on and how - forgive question if repeats above but i dont want to give flaky advice if wires get crossed.

Video always looks wrong in some way on a pc monitor - not tool for the job.

PC to TV may be flaky cos they often are.

Have you tried a dvd cut with the filed order corrected ?

Ask as many questions as you like....

It's hard to give an example of when it looks jerky as it seems relatively random, but;-
    - the clip I burned yesterday was shot in my loft. I've just moved in so it's a recording of how the place looks. When the image is just my face, everything is smooth and fine, but as I start to pan across the room, it then judders/jerks from time to time. The best way to describe is, it's as if the image freezes for a split second / 5 or 6 frames and then skips to where the video has moved on to, thus missing out those 5 or 6 frames.

However, when I first capture the video (using ULEAD or the native Panasonic tools) the AVI file is perfect. As in it plays perfectly through my PC (Windows Media Player) onto my monitor - no jerkiness atall. It does ocasionally occur but that's related to some temprorary bottleneck on the PC, if I rewind and play again, it always clears itself. Interestingly, I can 'hear' this bottleneck as it coincides almost always with the PC making PC noises, which I assume is the HD doing some reading/writing.

The big issue comes when I burn this AVI to DVD. When I play the burned disk back through the DVD on my PC, or through another to a TV, the jerkiness is there. It's consistent - the image jerks/freezes at the same points. It's as if this bottleneck has occured during the burning process and thus is now part of the DVD rcording itself.
    Have been investigating this for months now - driving me totally nuts!

PS - yes I corrected the file order before I cut the DVD - it's now lower field first.

Blog Entries

The jerkiness from the camera - you mean it plays jerky on the screen? Does it jerk exactly the same each time? What sort of camera is it? This is not normal.

The playing jerkiness in the pc - this is common and irritating but normal.

The DVD - Ususally dvds compile fine even when the PC is thrashing so my thinking is that this may be connected to the camera producing video data with glitches in it - but I am no way certain as I havent encountered this problem.

It may help to have details on the camera posted, and a clip of the jerk if poss.

What bit rate is the dvd cut at? - I have found that some dvd players choke with some home made dvds if the bit rate is high - near 10 - the max allowed.

Does it jump on more than one player ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast