Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Commercial help

1. Default Short Commercial help

I just started my own video editing business and am doing my first job for free to have something for my portfolio.

There is a coffee shop that is more then your average coffee shop it makes starbucks look like a newbie. I know the owner really well, so I am going to do a short like 30 - 60 second commercial for him.

Can you pros give me some good tips on what to do? I was thinking about setting up the tripod outside and do a soft zoom in a little bit, and then fade to the inside and film by the counter, and the two seating areas and film the customers (with their permission) and then fade to their logo and some titles.

Also thought about adding in a voice over talking about the shop and maybe run a couple words about things they have and carry like the internet access, books, and cookies.

What do you all think?

Blog Entries

It's a bit obvious.

Sucessfull ads are the ones we remember - like have girls at the counter in bikinis with a body builder in a g string for example - lols.

3. Default

Haha baywatch meets coffee shop.

It would be nice to add that and maybe snag a date with the girls afterwards, but seriously it has to be professional and focus around the shop.

Does my idea sound remotely good?

What type of coffee shop is it? Old world style or hip and modern, clean cut or cluttered? What are its key selling points, in terms of location, layout, service, type of customer it want's to attract (who is your audience?). Could the manager appear in the video, or would it be better to get someone else to talk about it. This follows on from a similar post from another forum member who decided to get his wife to do the voice over as the person who was featured in the video wasn't really suitable for it.

For a 30 second commercial I wouldn't use fades, cuts are good enough, if you use a copyright free piece of music - could tie in with the type of coffee shop it is - use changes in the music as your transitions rather than visual changes as a cut should suffice. Of course show the outside, start with a wide shot and then move in closer as you want to take the viewer from outside to the very seat he or she will sitting in.

The girls idea is a good one, if you can get a 'hook' such as that, all the better as your audience will connect the two together, what that hook is depends on what message you want to get across and what is available for the shoot on the day.

5. Default

Q: What type of coffee shop is it?
    A: They not only sell coffee, but also food like sandwiches and soups and cookies.
    Also have a dining area in 3 different rooms.

Q: Old world style or hip and modern?
    A: Hard to say, it has a small area for children to play, an internet zone for adults, and a family area for reading books and all. So both?

Q: Clean cut or cluttered?
    A: It's very clean and organized.

Q: What are its key selling points?
    A: Sandwiches/Soups mainly, with the coffee.

Q: Location?
    A: Walking distance from downtown (1/4 mile) and near a major road.

Q: Layout?
    A: Nice colors and clean outside.

Q: Service?
    A: Helpful and friendly, the owner makes sure all the employees are very nice, cheerful and helpful.

Q: Type of customers to attract?
    A: There is something for every age range. It's a mixture.

Q: Could the manager appear in it?
    A: The owner could appear in it if he wanted, he is a major part of the shop. I have a terrible voice, so I couldn't do it.

Q: Who can do the voice over?
    A: I do have a female employee with a soft voice, I think she'd do well?

Ok I won't use fades, do you know any places for royalty free midis? or a program I can mix them myself?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fayt View Post
    Q: What type of coffee shop is it?
    A: They not only sell coffee, but also food like sandwiches and soups and cookies.
    Also have a dining area in 3 different rooms.

Q: Old world style or hip and modern?
    A: Hard to say, it has a small area for children to play, an internet zone for adults, and a family area for reading books and all. So both?

<SNIPS>
    Q: Type of customers to attract?
    A: There is something for every age range. It's a mixture.
    I'm not talking here as a film-maker. I'm talking as a potential customer.

I forsee this as a problem. The joint is trying to be all things to all people. This will be a tricky one to pull off (though I can undertstand the owner wouldn't want to discourage particular clientelle until he's got an established user base)

However it'll be impossible in a 30 sec commercial to appeal to all sorts. At best it'll be confusing. At worst - a total mess.

Aim for ONE style which will appeal to one type of customer - or do three ads for three different styles. Don't mix them.

Which style to pick? I'd look at where the commercial is going to be shown. If it's at a local amenity where families goe - then emphasise the family friendly angle. If it's in a "young professionals" environment, emphasise the hip/trendy and internet aspects.

Start thinking about your audience and I bet a narrative and style starts to form in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by fayt View Post
    Ok I won't use fades, do you know any places for royalty free midis? or a program I can mix them myself?
    Why midis. There are plenty of royalty free mpgs/wavs around. For a start try looking at our Pimp the Link section. Plenty of free stuff there.

Be careful though - most RF stuff is only RF for non-commercial use and although you're not charging, you are making this for a commercial concern.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I think Fayt that you have it all wrong - no one remembers public information film and looking at your q and a it will end up being turgid and dull like a public info film.

You must entertain and amuse of people are to remember the place.

How about a spoof based on the huge number of coffe shops ???
    A spoof on the intoxicant effects of coffee.????
    A dig at strbucks.????

8. Default

Well he says he is going to put it on his website. Plus link back to my site.
    I wanted to do it professionally for my portfolio to show "uptight" customers.
    Many people don't have a sense of humor, where a product could have a trendy and cool sense of humor, where other things won't. I don't know I will do it and post on here to see what you all think.

Blog Entries

I would be tempted to include a time lapse from the street showing the frantic shoppers going about their business - and contrast that with the calmness of the establishment. The logo will have to feature prominently - probably both from the signage outside and from menu's etc, people making choices, coffee being prepared, calm shots of folk enjoying themselves inside as the world rushes by... dont try to start including prices of goods - they'll change over time and date the ad, Include the owner (IF he/she has a personality!!) lots of smiles, lots of relaxing, lots of brand awareness, lots of coffee. Make sure you use 'beautiful' people. You can get an awful lot into one minute, but the skill will be to make it look unrushed.

Just some ideas to percolate... boom boom.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 04-25-2009 at 08:22 AM.

10. Default

It's a good idea, but pushing it for a 30 second commercial. For 60 seconds it'd be possible to do, but don't I have to get permission from the people I film?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast