Thread: New Camcorder.

Default New Camcorder.

I've Just Sold my age old Canon Xl1 for 800 Pounds and i want to get A New Camera, (prosumer not consumer)

i want something that will have an amazing picture quality, dv or hdv. doesn't matter.

i was looking at stuff like the sony pd150 but thats quite old and i just have no idea what i should buy, i really want to get the filmic look, and something with 2 rings for zooming and focusing

please give me some suggestions, thank you!

aaron
    Last edited by AaronLeaman; 04-22-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries

A PD150 is a prosumer cam of the same vintage as the xl1 - same but differnet really.

What you choose depends on what you do nad how you work really.

I like doing mad complex edits with lots of power hungry fx and I find HDV too slow to edit - I like the speed of DV in preview and when rendering.

If you dont insist on HDV bargains are to be had - a year or so ago I got a full on professional dv camera for 1500 quid. Sure it isnt HDV but I can assure you it looks as good a HDV cam in many situations and it works great in low light too - and pro cams are sexy to use.

Having said that the video from prosumer HDV cams can be very impressive, but good DV is no worse than it ever was...

If you have 4 fast cores in your PC you may find editing HDV ok.

One thing I am sure of - a HD sticker on a camera is worth jack shit - cheaper so called HD cams DO NOT give hd res, or even good sd often.

Well Yeah i want something newer, i just want a REALLY high Quality pro-sumer Dv Camera, I had a Xm2 at one point and really thought the quality from that was amazing, but i want something that will give me a high resolution picture, but also a very filmic look, cheers for the reply aswell mate
    get back to me aaron.

I like to edit on my macbook on Final cut ( only 1gb RAM!!) but i also have a PC quad Core with 6gb. but i am looking for a bargain and would scower ebay any day to get a cheaper camera!

Blog Entries

Filmic look - on video?? Impossible.

Great look - on video?? Easy.

Video is video - film is film - and given that many films are shot on video the term has no meaning really.

Content is king - a great fil;m shot on super 8 or vhs c will be better than a crap film shot on I max

Can you reccomend any cameras?

I Like the Xm2, but is there anything a tad better with more options and controls.

Blog Entries

As I rec above...

To get better control than a xm2 you need to go pro DV. Big shoulder cam pro.

You also get a proper b/w crt finder and lots of other confusing things that can improve what you shoot - or screw it up it you get it wrong - lols.

Zebras, knee, stretch, in cam gamma and col controls, real proper lenses with proper real mechanical rings for focus exposure and contrast, big tape option sometimes - full size dv is up to 4.5 hours a tape.

Downsides - insamely expensive parts, chargers, batteries, no af ( big deal ), no antishake - just screws up the picture quality and frmaing anyway, bloody heavy, attracts LOTS of attention - which I like.