Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video for Website

Default Video for Website

I run a small business selling beekeeping equipment online which I am going to expand by adding new items soon. I want to put videos on the site to show details of the products in use.

What kit do people recommend for making short videos and then for editing and adding a commentary and captions? Each video will only be a few minutes long and the folk who run my website say they will put the file on the site as a .avi so it triggers the user's video application such as Windows Media Player.

I don't want to spend a fortune (no money in beekeeping!) or hire a professional. I'm not ignorant of photography but video is new to me and there seems to be a wide choice of formats and technology. The videos will probably be made outdoors - if only because sunlight is free.

All suggestions gratefully received.

John Laidler

Forgot to mention, I need to do close ups of product details.

Have also spoken with my web designers and the commentary will be done as Flash, although I need to record it as a sound file first of course.

John

Blog Entries

Web designers - a funny breed - the best delivery wouldn't be AVI - even though the movies will be short, the file sizes are likely to be massive, and you'll almost certainly finish up paying for extra bandwith.

The smallest (and most used) delivery format would be WMV - no need for a flash commentary either - the WMV will (or can) contain the video and audio together. In addition, no need to trigger the viewers external app to watch, it'll embed in your pages painlessly.

With practice, you can get good results without resorting to 'pro' gear too - the site administrator here has produced some great vids with a 100 Mini DV camcorder.

As for editing and rendering to the format you want, there's a plethora of apps available, but I think you should be able to all you want for free using Windows Movie Maker.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 04-22-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Many thanks. I particularly like the idea of the cheap camera! I seem to recall a review somewhere in the Telegraph which recommended a Toshiba Camileo. This had a solid state memory (no disk or tape) and was HD. Would working from a solid state memory be a problem for editing?

John

Personally, I think for embedding in websites, you should use Flash video. Always, always use flash video. It's a standard, and I've noticed that other formats can be a bit picky on various systems and browsers. Everyone uses flash, and it just works on any system.

Windows Movie Maker is good for basic cutting and pasting, but keep it simple, don't use whatever 'effects' it lets you use, otherwise it will look cheap and crappy.

Blog Entries

I second Flash (.flv) as the format of choice for embedding videos. It's become the de facto standard due to its platform independance. Take a look at the longtail video player for an excellent flash player.

Another route would be to use YouTube or similar third party. Many companies now use this as a preferred solution - the advantage are:

1) No need to convert yourself, just upload the video
    2) You don't use your own bandwidth
    3) You get an embed code to put on your site

Disdavantages are

1) You may need to set up a commercial account
    2) The video could be taken off the site without notice.

Blog Entries

Not read all the above.

I use wmv on my site - flexible embed - 99% universal - good quality v bit rate.

Blog Entries

Clearly two camps for embedding - I use and far prefer wmv. As Mark W says it's pretty much universal and look great. Not a flash fan at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTops View Post
    ... Would working from a solid state memory be a problem for editing?
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes. PLEASE use a tape based camera. Way easier to edit.

Blog Entries

One thing - it is a bit harder to stop people copying your films with wmv - but it doesnt bother me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast