Thread: Markers/chapters

Default Markers/chapters

In an attempt to get chapters into my DVD - so I could 'fast forward' to the next scene - I thought I'd put markers into the project. However, playing back on the DVD player didn't give me what I was expecting - in fact, it didn't give me anything. Any ideas what I did wrong? I just dragged the little pointer thingy that's located top left corner of the timeline to various points along the timeline - but I guess that's not how you do it...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

Never created DVDs in Premiere. I'll take a look at the manual tonight

Thanks Marc. I was looking at the Help file, but it seemed hugely complex for what should have been a simple job. As seems often to be the way with Premiere, there's a zillion ways of skinning the cat. First, though, you have to catch your cat...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I'll take a look at the manual tonight
    You mean you don't carry one around with you in your utility belt in case of emergencies?

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?? No! It's - gasp - Video Editing Man!!

Can anyone help on this? My wife is out all day Sunday, and while the cat's away...

Ian, like Marc, I've not tried to make any DVDs from within Premiere. A quick search reveals this

http://dv411.com/premierepro.html

and if you search fro the word 'chapter' on this page you find the passage that says...

Users can export Adobe Premiere Pro projects as MPEG2 or AVI files with chapter markers, which will be converted into chapter points by Adobe Encore DVD
    This to me, implies that the markers you are creating are only being interpreted by Encore (via MPEG2 exporting) for DVD creation and not within Premiere itself. Arguably a bit of a failing if you ask me.

Assuming this to be the case and you are intending to push out your disk while 'the boss' is away then I propose you download and install the trial version of Encore.

Ok Ian, got it now.

Page 296 of the Premier Pro manual states that the 'export to DVD' function has a n option called 'Chapter Points at' whcih says

Chapter Points At Select to automatically generate DVD chapter markers at timeline marekers. Although you can;t create chapter menus... this option allows a DVD controller tonavigate using the chapter button.
    So my guess is you must have forgot to check the box in the 'Genaral' page of the MPEG encoder options dialogue.

Unless of course, you did all this and it just didn't work. :(

Many thanks Millsy. I definitely didn't check that tab, so that must be the problem. I'd been hoping to take a look tomorrow but I feel house rules are being changed behind my back. Someone muttered the dread words 'Christmas shopping'...