Thread: Query with editing with DVD footage, how to keep the best quality when capturing it?

Default Query with editing with DVD footage, how to keep the best quality when capturing it?

I have a few queries you might be able to make clear for me. I have had a look through the forum but can't find anything. I apologise if I'm duplicating though.

I am making a video that I have recorded with 2 cameras, one being a miniDV tape and the other a DVD, both Sony cameras.

I've mainly used Pinnacle studio prior to this project, but wanted to use Premier Pro for this one, particularly as you can label the captured clips, and find them easier. The DVD cam doesn't have a firewire connection (this camera was borrowed) but USB only. My first problem appears to be that Premier Pro doesn't allow for DVD import? I've seen on another forum someone discussing this too, saying you have to convert these files unless anyone knows differently?

If I capture the DVD source, or finish the DVD and then put it in the DVD ROM and just cut and paste the clips, is there any difference in the quality compared to capturing from the camera?

I've used this method to get these MPEG files onto the computer. When I add them either to Pinnacle or Premier Pro they appear as a 4:3 ratio in the preview screen, although the footage was recorded in 16:9 mode on both cameras. I guess this is a simple answer of why it's doing that, although I don't know it? Although I'd really like to know how can avoid this though?

I did use pinnacle (as it can import the DVD files easily) to re-render the MPEG file back to an AVI, and then the clip returned to it's 16:9 state. I don't want to use this method for my 2hrs of footage as:
    • it's very lenghty process
    • the clip sizes would be enourmous
    • I don't really see any improvement in the quality
    The crux of my query is that I want to edit my 2hrs of DVD footage with the best quality in picture and audio, without speding hours on converting or re-rendering it. I don't want to lose the aspect of the picture due to the type of file. My mini DV camcorder is so easy compared to this (which i know si the big difference), but I would just like to try and get it to look as similar as possible.

Obviously I'm a bit of a novice, and very much so with Premiere Pro, so the answers might seem very apparent to you, but i'd appreciate your comments on the best way to manage this.

Thanks for reading

Has anyone any thoughts on my query, was it the thread title what did prevoke enough views?

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

I dont know why the aspect ratio is weird.

To use the mpeg dvd video just copy the files from the dvd to hard drive as you have done previously.

Something else is amiss to have lost the 16:9.

Is the aspect ratio correct on the 4 3 - is evryone too thin??? If so - is simple - set your PAR - pixel aspect ration to 1.4568, this is the correct ratio for widesecreen and is how most cameras achieve it - I bet that is it.

It probably works converted as you are turning it into a cropped pic with the normal dv par. This WILL loose quality.

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply.

I was able to use the MPEG file, and transfer it as you say. My question was whether I was losing quality this way? Should I be capturing it via USB? I didn't thnk it made a difference, but was unsure.

Yes, everyone is too thin. I'm recording with a 16:9 setting. I then finish the CD and watch it and it's playing as a 4:3 view. I opened it straight from the disc with media player or a DVD program, it makes no difference? It's not the editing software, it's the file itself it seems?

Any ideas still

Hm, well I've managed to get the aspect ratio to remain at 16:9. Not sure what when wrong with the original clip I trialed, but it didn't do it on others.

Found a SOLUTION to getting the files to import on to PPro. Imported them on Pinnacle first and then they are convered to MPEG files, with no loss of quality, then just import on PPro. That was really quick and didn't have to use extra software to convert..