Thread: How in the world did they do this?

Question How in the world did they do this?

Hi, everybody!

I just registered here for the cause of having one question anwered. How is this done??

I've seen this technique here and there, but this is the coolest one yet.

I'm very interested in film photography and special FX, but I've never really gotten involved in it...

Basically, I just wanna know how they did this, 'cause it's just mind blowing. And I know a lot of people that would appreciate a proper answer.
    The reason for posting this question in the Premiere category was because no other category fitted my post. If a moderator sees this, please move this thread to the appropriate category.

Thanks, guys!

2. Default

this is 3D animation and it is done by many people. got to give credit to the animators, but it isn't that special, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by csm View Post
    this is 3D animation and it is done by many people. got to give credit to the animators, but it isn't that special, at least for me.
    Care to make that a little bit more detailed? Isn't it atleast based on actual movie scenes with real characters? or is it ALL in the computer with like 3D-scanned faces and such?

4. Default

i think it is all 3D. yes they can be scanned. I don't know how it is done. But that is the only way to achive this level of quality. You can always do it with photos, but they are 2D and it would be very hard to hide it.

Blog Entries

You know Crisis?

Same thing with far more work on the graphix.

3D scanning and motion capture are commonly used.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    You know Crisis?

Same thing with far more work on the graphix.

3D scanning and motion capture are commonly used.
    Alright. But it's just that it's so extremely photo realistic! It've GOT to be based on photographies some how... But thanks for giving _some_ clarity to it.

An other thing on the same subject.
    In The Matrix, (i think it is) Neo and Morpheus are taking a walk down the street with all these people rushing by. And all of a sudden everybody around them stops, yet Neo and Morpheus keep moving and talking.
    How is that done? Ought to be done in some other way than just 3D modeling?

Blog Entries

not seem matrix for ages so cant recall that clip.

POst a link to it and I will see if I know how done.

Most of these things are done by very many very clever people with some big budgets and big computers. It is common for a film to cost well over 100,000,000 - they can afford to spend 1000s of person hours on a second of output.

Most things we can only be impressed by and never real;ly grasp... and that is the way it should be - film should be magic !

I personally think that only a little of that is CGI. The technology isn't here yet to render at that level of detail in a remotely reasonable length of time. Not to mention having to scan and process so many characters...

I reckon it's done by a combination techniques.

People keeping still (surprisingly effective, you may be surprised to know!) for the minority that are only shown for a few frames.

Wax models maybe, though it seems a bit 'old school'. :P

3D photos - I'm not sure what to call these exactly, but basically, the subject is photographed by multiple cameras at exactly the same time. If you pan through the photos, it'll 'seem' like it's 3D and frozen in time. This would have probably been used for most of the characters.

And of course, CGI. But only for things like glass in mid air, smoke, gunshots .etc.

Edit: Just found this on YouTube, and it's exactly what I meant by the multi-angle photos...

And how they did one of the Matrix scenes (same technique, but with a ton of cameras)...

Last edited by MatthewPerks; 05-05-2009 at 08:43 PM.