Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100 for advice/instruction

Default $100 for advice/instruction

I am looking for someone who can direct me (I am a software engineer in Seattle, WA) how to produce an effect that can be found in the video at the link below.

The effect I am referring to is the one in the video where the camera pauses while the boarder is in the air, then the camera pans around the boarder. This effect is obviously created by some software tool and I am in need of someone's expertise to tell me which tools were used and how to produce a similar effect with my own digital video. I use Final Cut Pro.

Just so you know. The person who created this video is not a professional and does it only on his spare time. He also only had 2 cameras.

The effect takes place at 2:20 among other places. I am willing to pay the person $100 (via paypal) who can provide me with the software name and the technique for producting this effect.

feel free to email me directly also.

Blog Entries

I dont believe it's software that does it - usually a camera rig with multiple cameras on - whether it could be emulated by s/w is another matter. But I seriously doubt it.

There used to be an engineering nut on here that built such a rig - cant remember his name now.... but essentially it fired off aload of SLRS milliseconds behind each other.

I think the guy that made it is called Andy Gordon, I remember seeing other pieces of his work on a "pro kite surf" video, I remember downloading it and watching it in decent quality, I think at the time I even emailed the guy to congratulate him, I though his vids were fantacstic, he also uses slo mo and he does a great thing with time lapse and a reeeeaaalllyyy sslllooooooow pan setting.

you could always email him, save yourself $100...from memory I think he did most of the work in software

good luck anyway

Blog Entries

Looking at the clip at 2.23 the guys arm clearly passes across his body and his head / face becomes visible. If that's done in software alone, I'll eat my hat. The effect at 2.41 is easy peasy.

Blog Entries

Keep your $100.

At an educated guess I'd say there was a lot of After Effects work in there.

Having said that... There's a lot of very, very good AE work involved a lot of planning and hours of thought gone into this. I'm really envious of the production, pity they spent so much effort on some bloke with a kite and a surfboard, the water footage was the most boring of the lot! If they'd picked something a bit more interesting it could have been mind-blowing.

So, you know the software but it's a bit like knowing that Eric Clapton plays a Fender Guitar...

Blog Entries

Not a time slice - too ' wide'.

Take 2 cameras pointing to w surfer
    Join left and right versions to make a really wide shot.
    Remove w surfer from right shot ( not done well at all )
    Pan left to right in editor, keeping cut image of surfer centre frame.
    As you rotate fade to second cam view of surfer - appears to rotate as eye fooled by apparent b ground rotation.

Impossible for a non expert to do.
    Guessingish - 2 to 10 hours of wk at £50 quid and hour to have that shot done - just the editing.

Blog Entries

Looks like I'll be eating that hat then.....

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input. Not quite the answers I was looking for. It appears no one has a good idea of how this is done. I feel there is a way to do this if I can find someone who knows fully how to accomplish the effect. For someone to say that it can not be learned is a little silly to me when it is simply a proceedure that needs to be known. Mark W, have you created an effect like this before? would you be interested in giving me some more details on how to produce the effect on my own (ie: a tutorial of some kind).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Impossible for a non expert to do.
    Guessingish - 2 to 10 hours of wk at £50 quid and hour to have that shot done - just the editing.
    FWIW You're low by an order of magnitude on the pricing. Maybe not in this case because it's poorly done but this is highly skilled work and it costs plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Not quite the answers I was looking for. It appears no one has a good idea of how this is done. I feel there is a way to do this if I can find someone who knows fully how to accomplish the effect. For someone to say that it can not be learned is a little silly to me when it is simply a proceedure that needs to be known. Mark W, have you created an effect like this before? would you be interested in giving me some more details on how to produce the effect on my own (ie: a tutorial of some kind).
    Not quite sure why you say this. Mark just told you how to do it and the next reply is "appears no one knows". curious. The simple fact is he used terms and expressions you didn't understand. The problem there then is you are clearly attempting too difficult an effect too early in your editting career. i.e. you're just not ready to run until you've learned to walk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast