Thread: Problem, Removing background from video without green screen!

Default Problem, Removing background from video without green screen!

I have recently made videos for my university projecty, but have not used a green screen as I did them at home.
    Does anyone know a way of removing the background without a green screen.
    I have tried keying but the thsirt my model is wearing and there face is to close to the background.

I can send videos to anyone who can help

any ideas?

thanks

What editing or special effects software do you have access to? It sounds like you are going to be spending some time (quite a lot of time actually) getting to know masking and keyframing. If you have access to After Effects you are going to have to draw masks by hand around your talent, possibly on every single frame and use keyframes to animate it.... don't fancy doing that. Your second choice is re-shoot your video, this time against a greenscreeen.

Why does if feel as though I'm talking to a brick wall at times?
    Last edited by Nikosony; 04-21-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Blog Entries

It's a black art - many variables.

Very hard to get a decent screen on most things. Still fiddly with lighting and a real green screen. I am very pleased I got a proper screen.

Google about - often well cheap - mine came from bolivia of all places ( didnt find a key of c in it sadly ) and was about 60 quid i think. 1bout 10ft sq and with a steel sprigy hoop round the edge to hold it open.

Default With no colour or luminance separation???

OOOhhhh deear.

Your options are a colour key (blue or green will work - but you seem to say that's 'no go').. failing that a luminance key.... (is your background VERY different in level to what you need to key out? - it might work.)

You could try making two keys - one for the face and another for the shirt - then comping those together to make a single luma or colour key against a generated video backkground plate of colour..... might work but will still be fairly ropey.

..... and yes.... failing all that you are into heavy rotoscoping territory - with something like shake (best for it in my humble opinion) or AEffects...

maybe you know someone with an old version of shake or the educational version of EA???

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston Lang View Post
    OOOhhhh deear.

Your options are a colour key (blue or green will work - but you seem to say that's 'no go').. failing that a luminance key.... (is your background VERY different in level to what you need to key out? - it might work.)

You could try making two keys - one for the face and another for the shirt - then comping those together to make a single luma or colour key against a generated video backkground plate of colour..... might work but will still be fairly ropey.

..... and yes.... failing all that you are into heavy rotoscoping territory - with something like shake (best for it in my humble opinion) or AEffects...

maybe you know someone with an old version of shake or the educational version of EA???

Good luck!

I do have a green screen in the studio in Uni, but im trying to get around re-shooting as time is against me.
    My models live on the other end of the country back home, and I am at uni on the other end.

I have access to After Effects and also Premier, which I have tried to colour key and such other things when I fiddled with it.
    As a first year multimedia student its all pretty new to me but Im searching in the right places.
    My main problem that I have found is when I take away the colours from the background (as there are many different colours) they counteract with the face of the model and start to remove there face and turn it black.

I am not to sure how to use frame by frame on either software, although I can mask.

The probelm is im using 8/9 different clips to make a music video. It is all very amateur but its all gaining experience.

Would it help if i posted a link to the video or anything?

thanks again guys

If you do have a link to it that would be helpful......

I feel your pain.. and if you need to see rotoscoping and moving masks in action see the music video here.. Music Video Production (you might have to cut and paste the link) ..all the material in the TV is composited in with an animated mask.

7. Default Keying

I would say the best thing to do is use a color range key in after effect and key out as much of the background as possible, then feather the edges until you've got an acceptable key. it will look a little off but better than nothing!

as long as the shot is static & lighting is constant, Difference keying can help, bit like a substration of the bits that are staic and replaced with your image