Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placing the cursor on the beat.

Default Placing the cursor on the beat.

I've no doubt there is an easy answer to this, but in spite of looking on a number of occasions, I can't find it. I am trying to get photograph changes bang on the beat of the music, which would be quite easy except that when I try to do this using the audio track, depending where the lines are on the time bar at the top, sometimes I have to put the cursor either just before or just after the beat, there doesn't seem to be anthing in between. I've right clicked on the time bar, and used seconds, frame and seconds etc, but nothing seems to allow me free rein to put the cursor exactly where I want it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

My guess would be to disable snapping... it sounds as if it's enabled at the moment, forcing your cursor one way or another..

Blog Entries

Andy's almost certainly right. It's to do with snapping and/or quantize to frames (Alt+F8 or under Options).

However I recommend you keep quantize to frames set on when editing the video otherwise Vegas will have to do all sorts of calculations and when rendered the resulting frames will always be on frame boundaries anyway.

With quantize set on, just cut our video at the nearest point to the beat. At worst it's going to be 1/2 of 1/25 of a second out, which I defy anyone to notice.

If you find that the music is consistently the same amount out, turn quantize to frames off and slide the music track to line up approximately.
    Tim

4. Default

Tim,
    Besides the above example of sliding the audio track slightly to line up "to the beat", what other times do you use or edit with the quatize to frames turned off. That is to say, when is it useful?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    Tim,
    Besides the above example of sliding the audio track slightly to line up "to the beat", what other times do you use or edit with the quatize to frames turned off. That is to say, when is it useful?
    Can't think of any. Or is that a trick question?

Or did you infer from my emphasizing of "when editing the video" that you would only leave quantize to frame on when editing video (ie you'd turn it off the rest of the time) 'cos that wasn't what I meant.

What I meant by the emphasis was that you should always have quantize to frames on when shifting video clips around.

Of course if your source is mixed fps then all bets are off.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Always interesting to hear a techie answer to a problem I've always used by 'touch and feel'. Never really though of why it just feels right to cut just after the 'beat' as reported by the waveform. I just do what feels right!

Blog Entries

^^^ I agree - a slavish adherance to cutting on every beat exactly can make the vibe very mechanical.

I listen to the tune and as it plays I hit ' m ' to add markers where I ' feel ' a cut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ^^^ I agree - a slavish adherance to cutting on every beat exactly can make the vibe very mechanical.

I listen to the tune and as it plays I hit ' m ' to add markers where I ' feel ' a cut.
    Agree entirely - I do the same. But the question was asked and I answered it.
    Tim

9. Default

Tim,
    Not a trick question. So... Quantize to frames should stay ON in almost all cases. I was just trying to figure out what those few circumstances were when it should be turned off?
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    Quantize to frames should stay ON in almost all cases.
    Caveat - this is based on my belief rather than known fact. It just seems logical to me that placing a clip on anything other than a frame boundarey MUST involve Vegas in dong some extra work.

It also seem to be borne out that the last DVD that I had problems with (on a number of copies) I noticed had been generated from an MPEG from an AVI which had been generated from a timeline with QTF OFF. Now it surely MUST be a total coincidence, but when I corrected (with the help of Edward Troxel's Excaliber) and reproduced - I didn't have the problems.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast