Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Stop to Smell the Roses"

Default "Stop to Smell the Roses"

Hi folks,

Haven't posted here in a bit, but just made my way back since I haven't been too busy lately.

I'm doing a short for a film festival called "Stop to Smell the Roses", emphasizing just that. I've been trying to film scenes representing busyness, including large volumes of traffic, fast-paced cuts of newspaper headlines documenting the poor US and World economy, and time lapsed footage of people walking in NYC at Times Square.

Could any of you offer any more symbols of the busy and stressful world? I'd love to hear your input and consider it for use in my film. I'm thinking of filming various For Sale and Foreclosure signs.

Also, I was wondering how you'd end a film like this? What would you use in contrast to the busy/stressful world? I perhaps though a simple still shot of a chair, lamp, and book in a living room... since books usually easy my stress.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

Blog Entries

Signs of "The State" Police, Judicary, Govt. etc. people in charge who have nothing to fear from the Economic Crisis, they will have their job tomorrow.
    Religions have a boom time in Crisis situations working on peoples fears. Rich churches, pastors etc. Using the misfortunes of the public to increase membership.

Finally, as music have you thought of "It was a good year for the Roses" by Elvis Costello?

You have a difficult task ahead, Crisis is "in" at the moment and I don't envy you having to do something a bit special on that theme.

Blog Entries

I supect you have watched koyaanisqatsi.

Flattery may be the highest form of praise but true genius springs from individual vision.

I think slo mo of CEOs of blind greedy corperations being horribly killed would be great.

I've not seen Koyaanisqatsi, actually, but do realize that the theme of the film (after looking at a synopsis) seems similar to mine. However, I'm trying to focus on right now ... the World's Economy seems to be the biggest stressor in America today, and I want to focus on that as much as I can. I'm also trying to use roses as a symbol in the film, indicating the ignorance or neglect of the roses, and will feature them through out the scenes, whether in the background or in plain-view.

Blog Entries

My apologies fomr my rathe cheeky assumption in that case ;-0

Lucky I like humble pie...

Blog Entries

In trays filling up
    Email "In" boxes filling up
    A receptionist/helpdesk clerk answering one phone, then another then another
    A receptionist/agent of some sort dealing with one client, then another and another with aqueue growing, growing, growing....
    A diary/calendar filling up
    Something simple like a shopping list?
    Mail arriving
    Time lapse of any form of transport so long as it shows people embarking/disembarking - eg busses, queues at taxi ranks.
    Jeez this is too easy. Maybe it's me who needs to stope and smell the roses.

Sorry, gotta rush.....
    Tim

I really appreciate the input, folks.

Talented community here on this site.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated ... I should have the film up by next weekend, though.

Default Tread mill

How about a CU of a pair of feet pounding a treadmill. All that hard work and you're still in the same place.

Perhaps end with the running machine grinding to a halt.

I did something like this 5 years ago, final scene was of someone lying down, relaxing on some grass on a nice sunny day. You could use something similar as an ending, and incorporate a bed of roses.

Are the roses real flowers or are they a metaphor for all the positive things we miss in life as we are so busy running around like headless chickens doing what we do? We need to stop from time to time, and smell the roses, in other words take stock of the positive things we do have in our lives as we could be a lot worse off. And in tomorrow's sermon I shall be talking about.... I hope I didn't come across all preachy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast