Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my video editing PC

Default Help with my video editing PC

Hello everyone! I'm new at the forums, just wanted to say to everyone and hopefully we'll have some interesting conversations during my visits to the forums. I did want to start off my first post with a question though. Im going to start editing with a new PC that was given to me and I mean, it's not the best computer in the world BUT it's better then what I've have had all these years (400mhz). My question is simple. Is my computer going to be a pain when it comes to editing with Adobe Premiere 6.0+ or Vegas? I've tried editing and pressing play on the preview monitor and that can be a little slow, I hate previewing too, because it takes quite a long time for it to save and then see my changes. Is there anything I can do (a side from buying a new computer), maybe any settings or anything that can help me work faster? I still haven't tried vegas though. Here's my specs and thanks a bunch everyone.

Specs:

AMD Duron 1.1 GHZ
    192mb PC133 RAM (will expand to 512mb soon)
    MSI MX4000-T128 - NVidia GeForce MX 4000 Chipset, 128MB DDR SDRAM, TV-out, 8x AGP

Thanks again. By the way, if the answer is buy a new computer, what should I buy...but please try to give me some feedback on my current pc, I would really apreciate it.

the 512MB RAM will definitely help things, the main bottleneck appeard to be the CPU though, if you can, get something like an AMD Athlon 64 based system.

Thanks a lot for responding Mike. Well I guess I would have to get a new board (or computer). Wow, what a shame. I was looking foward to using this one, upgrading it a little and use the money I was going to use on a new computer, on a new minidv cam. Thanks for the help Mike.

Any more opinions anyone?

Other than what's already been said I can only offer the following...

IF you're going to edit Mini DV then make sure the PC has a firewire port/card in it. Do NOT attempt to use a USB port for video transfer. It will sort of work but quality will be low.

Quote Originally Posted by millsy
    Do NOT attempt to use a USB port for video transfer. It will sort of work but quality will be low.
    While I wholeheartedly agree that every video editing PC should have a Firewire port, I do have to disagree that USB2 is any worse at transferring video than firewire. As you may know, Pinnacle recently released their latest version of Liquid Edition (version 6). The pro version of this comes with a BoB (a bit like Avid's MoJo) which can capture uncompressed 8-bit HDV in realtime - over USB2. I posted some time ago the bandwidth capabilities of USB 2 and what the transfer rate of HDV was (can't find the thread now) and you could clearly see that USB 2 is more than capable of carrying the information.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Fair do's I suppose.

Certainly USB2 has a higher bandwidth than firewire. That's well documented.

And extra hardware can always get around the limitations of the norm i.e. my RTX100 will capture analgue and convert to MPEG2 in realtime so I can transfer my old VHS tapes to my PC in a format all ready for authoring DVDs with.

But for your average Joe a miniDV camcorder should be connected to a PC vie firewire fro transfer rather than USB.

I'm just remembering all the 'I transfered my video and it bad quality' questions where the answer, to improve quality turned out to be 'use firewire rather than USB'.

In truth though, because USB2 is faster than fireqire I've never really understood why the USB transfer is lower quality. The problem must be in the cameras I guess, generally being designed when only USB1.1 was about.

my RTX100 will capture analgue and convert to MPEG2 in realtime
    That's neat! I didn't know it was capable of doing that.

Apparently the new LE BoB can do this too but I have heard there are some teething problems with audio syncing when going directly to MPEG2 IPB. Although some people don't seem to suffer from it.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Quote Originally Posted by LJR
    my RTX100 will capture analgue and convert to MPEG2 in realtime
    That's neat! I didn't know it was capable of doing that.
    It will certainly do it but as I always tend to want to edit the footage after capture, in some way or another (colour correction is usually a necessary step from my old VHS tapes), before I make a DVD I tend not to capture straight to MPEG2 though.

Can't comment on the sync issue as I've never used the feature enough to notice it.

It's the realtime export from Premiere Pro to MPEG2 that makes the card pay for itself though. Wait hours to render and export - what's all that about? lol

Well thanks to all. But still at this point I didn't really get any other opinions, but now I know a lot about USB2 though, hehe. Anyways, just one more question. What can I do with the current computer I have? I've noticed someone here has a 700mhz computer with 512mbs of RAM, it's on their signature, I think he's a MOD here, maybe he can advise me Thanks to all though.

Hey thats me

AMD Duron 1.1 GHZ
    192mb PC133 RAM (will expand to 512mb soon)
    MSI MX4000-T128 - NVidia GeForce MX 4000 Chipset, 128MB DDR SDRAM, TV-out, 8x AGP

Thanks again. By the way, if the answer is buy a new computer, what should I buy...but please try to give me some feedback on my current pc, I would really apreciate it.
    The brutal truth of the matter is that you will be able to get some editing value our of the spec you have mentioned, with a little bit of upgrading. Others have already mentioned the RAM upgrade and I would personally add a second hard disk drive and a firewire card. You don't mention the OS, but make sure its XP. The others are right though, a new PC is the better solution as it will be more powerful and more likely to cope with the demands of latest release software. However if you are stuck for cash and just want to get going with your hobby then visit eBay and buy the necessary for a relatively small amount of cash. You will be able to make movies, just be prepared, as I am, to read War and Peace whilst the renders are completed.

Incidentally my new PC arrives at the beginning of December. Hurrah hurrah!
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast