Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No video preview *only sound* Vegas 9 Platinum

Default No video preview *only sound* Vegas 9 Platinum

Hello all,

I recently purchased Sony Vegas Platinum 9. I've heard so many great things about this software. I am a big pro-wrestling fan. So my main purpose is to take 20-30 minute long wrestling matches and make music highlight videos from each match. This seems to be the software for me. I'm rather new to this kind of stuff and have only dealt with real entry level software in the past.

I have my clips on the timeline. But when I preview I only get sound and no video. The preview box is just black. I tried going through the settings to see if something got messed up. I also searched the forums here and I could only find threads about people saying their preview was going too slow. Please keep in mind I'm really new to this stuff so I apologize if this is a really stupid question but I'm just getting frustrated because I can't figure this out on my own.

Thank you so much everyone!

Blog Entries

No problem - installing a codec pack should fix this.

Try googling ' nimo codec pack' and install.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for replying. Last night I uninstalled and then reinstalled the program and that did the trick. So thankfully it works now! Now I just have to figure out how to make a cool video

Right now I'm reading through the manual trying to figure out how get some cool transitions between clips. I'm working on a wrestling highlight video so for certain spots I wanna get some nice transitions and fades. I'll post my video when I'm done so I can get your guys input as to what changes should be made.

Blog Entries

A word of advice...

DONT use any tarty wipes - stick to simple fades but only use if you have to. Best to stick to plain cuts.

Tarty fades / transitions look rubbish - everyone over does it at first .

Ok thanks for the advice. I really don't know what I'm doing to be honest but just wanted to have some fun and make a few videos. I'll do away with the tacky fades then and just use simple cuts. Hopefully you guys can critique it for me and let me know what should be changed. I'd really appreciate all of your honest opinions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
    Right now I'm reading through the manual trying to figure out how get some cool transitions between clips. I'm working on a wrestling highlight video so for certain spots I wanna get some nice transitions and fades. I'll post my video when I'm done so I can get your guys input as to what changes should be made.
    Let me just pre-empt this (and hopefully save you some work) by suggesting that most people will agree that by far the coolest transition is the straight cut.

Cut out of the first clip at exactly the right place and begin the next clip at exactly the right place, in perfect sync with any backing music, possibly with an added "hit" and possibly cutting the audio a beat or two before the video (search for "J cut") or even after (ditto "L cut").

Practice that and your videos will be good.

The only possible exception might be for coming in and out of titles for the sort of video I envisage you making from your description.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Yea - intro and outro fades can be tarty fo sure.

Just avoid that bloody venetian blind fade - that one is gross i think. lols.

Alright guys thanks. I will definitely practice and work on your suggestions.

I'm watching my video right now in the preview and noticing a slight issue. It's kind of hard to describe and I guess the only way is to post the video. Like I said earlier I am doing a lot of wrestling which is basically all action and movement. However, toward the end of each individual clip there is like a slight blur or something. It doesn't seem to transition smoothly from the end of each clip. Not sure if I'm describing this correctly.

Just to make an edit to my post above. It's not actually a blur but it's more of a slight pause or freeze from when one frame ends and the next begins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast