Thread: Rescuing a shaky shot

Default Rescuing a shaky shot

Hi guys. Did my first wedding shoot in a while the other day and while I did get some great shots I'm really dissapointed that one of the most important shots in the whole thing - the bride walking down the aisle with her Father - has been ruined. I understood that the assembled guests would be seated for the brides entrance, and set all my cameras up accordingly. However, they stood and so blocked my cameras and I was unable to get much decent out of them. My only hope is a rear camera that my wife was operating, however because she was following the couple through the doors (because they were being shut on her) the footage is terribly shaky.

However - perhaps all is not lost! I've had a little fiddle with After Effects stabilisation tools and I think I may be able to rescue the footage. Check out the before and afters below and see what you think:

What do you think? I think the 2nd doesnt look bad at all (when you consider what it was like before) but the footage seems to blur every now and then, presumably a side effect of the stabilisation. On the 3rd one I have applied colour correction , vignetting and slowed the footage down, although I think this is making it look worse (the slow motion, anyway).

Any other tips on trying to make a silk purse out of this sows ear? Thanks!

Hi - Can't offer an alternative rescue, but 2 looks the best of the bunch. Have you nothing from the 3rd cam?
    You'll now know that guests always stand for the bride's entrance and my way of covering this apart from having the back cam on their toes is to pan from the clergy (who announces) to the groom's face (who's face is usually a picture anyway) and time the next pan just as the bride appears in view.

All these critical shots can be managed well with more experience. Your next wedding shoot will be heaps better on covering these must have shots.

One thing I always stress with 2nd cam operators, whatever formal stage of the day we're filming, is to never move until the main cam is seen to be static. If you aren't in a position to see the main cam, assume it's moving and make 2nd cam moves as fluid and smooth as possible.
    I know most stages of the edit will torment you as these wobbly scenes will crop up frequently, but they will get better with every wedding you film!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Well I did get one nice shot of the bride but its not until shes almost at the front, and I wanted some kind of consistency with the rear shot of her going through the doors (which is fine) to the shot of her at the front of the hall , without jumps.

Oh well, I wont be making THAT mistake again!

The second clip works best, I don't like the third one with the vignette, it just looks wrong. Does the second clip look really bad if it is played back at normal speed, I would only use the slow motion as a last resort.

Blog Entries

I don t think it is slo mo - desjakers often give a slo mo look and they always drop the pic quality markedly as can be seen here.

I dont do weddings but seems to me that shot is a bit rubbish anyway - backs of the couple - I would drop the shot.

Yeah the 2nd one is at normal speed, although as Mark W says, it may appear slowed because of the stabilisation.

I'm pretty sure VideoCopilot.net has an "advanced stabilisation" tutorial which does amazing things with a shot of a car thats bouncing all over the place, so I'll see if I can figure out anything from there.

Blog Entries

All thew stabilisers i have used ruin hte video quality. TBH I have found them all unacceptabe making processed video very different in appearnece to the original meaning they dont blend well with other shots.

There really is no way back often from poorly shot video - gotta get it right in camera. Another reason I dont do weddings - one chance only...

you could take a look here, this works not too bad,

Home

worth a look and I think you get a trial download (watermarked) but you can see if it works for you.

Blog Entries

^^ is that meant to be a link to your web site? I was expecting a deshker.