Thread: Is it possible to integrate two HD recordings on one screen?

Question Is it possible to integrate two HD recordings on one screen?

Hi all,

I am a professional driving instructor trainer and am planning to create some training DVDís. I am looking to create an in-car setup which can record from 2-3 sources at High Definition (or as near as possible to it) with excellent sound recording.

We were originally planning on getting a 3 cam setup comprising of a Chasecam PDR100 solid-state recorder, 3 x Sony HQ1 bullet cameras, external mic, lcd monitor and quad processor. However, with the latest HD camcorder developments, we figured it may be possible to get much better quality from two separate HD camcorder sources.

I am on the verge of purchasing a Panasonic HDC-TM300, mainly for home use, but hopefully can be one of the cameras used for this setup. I would then look at buying another one or two (cheaper) HD cameras for the other views.

My main questions are:

1. Is it possible to use two or three HD camcorders and integrate the recordings on my PC so that I have picture-in-picture recorded to one source, i.e. one of the recordings full screen and smaller screens in the bottom left & right corners of the second and third recordings?

2. Is synchronisation easy to achieve in this respect, or will I need a quad processor? I don't want any lip sync issues.

I have access to Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 - will this do the job?

Any ideas or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Premier pro will do the job, to sync up the cameras use a clapper board or someone actually clapping, make sure all of the cameras can see and hear the clap then when you import your video set the "in point" on the left video monitor to where the clapper just touches the other half. Drag each video on its own line on the timeline. Right click and unlink any of the video sources that you don't need any audio from and then just delete the audio. If you’re going to use HD then you will need as quad core for a multi camera setup. You may be able to do it with a dual core but it's not recommended, especially with a multi camera setup. Just use the cut tool to change between cameras. Let’s say you have 3 cameras all on their own row, and you want camera 1. you get he cut too (keystroke c) and go to where you want it to change to camera 1 and cut on all of the other camera's video, the you press v to use the standard default bog-standard (duno what it's called) tool and put the mouse over the cut, it should be the left half of a box with an arrow pointing right, click and drag until you want to change camera again. Do the same with the other camera's video. Once you figure that out its pretty simple.

Thanks for your quick response smifis

So just to clarify, (and I apologise if this sounds like a really stupid question), will 3 cameras of different makes all record in exactly the same time as each other? So there'll definitely be no sync issues as the recordings progress after the initial clap? I can only assume that this can't be a problem with recording to SD cards, whereas this problem could happen with recording to tape?

Hope I make sense (I know what I'm trying to say LOL)

Oh, and the other thing I meant to ask was can two screens be shown at the same time? Like here: http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/vids/PIP.wmv

you shouldn't have any sync issues. it might be worth doing a little test setup, it could be anything, a walk through the park for example. to do a pip you have the camera angle you want in the corner on a row higher than the background image. then to make it small you change the scale. to change the scale, click the video, and go to effect controls, normally behind the left monitor window (you click the tab). Scale is under motion.

Blog Entries

Three cameras? That's and not how to do it.

Film shoots really only ever use one camera. Multi cam may be used for once only explosions and fx with tens often bein used.

Some tv stuff is shot for speed with more than one cam.

But as a rule anything that is set up is far better shot on one camera.

Also saves lots of money and hassle.

To rely on multicameras will very likely give a worse result than a well thoguht out shooting with one camera.

Hint - with editing you can shoot 2 shots at differnent times and make them look like the same event -

Also - considor - training videos are a very technical thing to make and very difficult to do well - if it is important for youir business consdor getting the job done professionally.

Blog Entries

" I have access to Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 - will this do the job? "

I think is a more salient question is " can you " - no offence but you appear to think that making a good training vid depends on lots of cameras and software. Editors dont do anything for you - you have to know how to edit...

Most important is expirience - many people forget that and start huge mad projects in a fit of enthusuiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
    Hi all,

I am a professional driving instructor trainer and am planning to create some training DVDís. I am looking to create an in-car setup which can record from 2-3 sources at High Definition (or as near as possible to it) with excellent sound recording.

We were originally planning on getting a 3 cam setup comprising of a Chasecam PDR100 solid-state recorder, 3 x Sony HQ1 bullet cameras, external mic, lcd monitor and quad processor. However, with the latest HD camcorder developments, we figured it may be possible to get much better quality from two separate HD camcorder sources.

I am on the verge of purchasing a Panasonic HDC-TM300, mainly for home use, but hopefully can be one of the cameras used for this setup. I would then look at buying another one or two (cheaper) HD cameras for the other views.

My main questions are:

1. Is it possible to use two or three HD camcorders and integrate the recordings on my PC so that I have picture-in-picture recorded to one source, i.e. one of the recordings full screen and smaller screens in the bottom left & right corners of the second and third recordings?

2. Is synchronisation easy to achieve in this respect, or will I need a quad processor? I don't want any lip sync issues.

I have access to Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 - will this do the job?

Any ideas or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

A program is only as good as the person behind the mouse/keyboard.