Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm An Installation

Default I'm An Installation

Do you ever stand in the shower... and just let the water pour into your mouth? A beautiful, private moment, in which knowone else is involved? If someone saw you, you would feel a bit silly prehaps, but also indigant that you had been interrupted in your totally relaxed moment. But how about if it was the other way around? If you were watching in on someone elses private, relaxing moment? and even more, if you were caught out?

Intended as an installation video to be projected onto a wall.
    Last edited by J Fish; 04-16-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Joseph Beuys said "Everyone's an artist", what he should have added is that not everyone's a good artist.

There is so much video art around nowadays that new works have to be good to rise above the crowd. This doesn't. On Saturday I was at a video installation which left me with an open mouth. Your open mouth left me cold. To save others wasting three minutes of their life watching a youth holding a shower head squirting water into their mouth I can say that it doesn't really hit the spot (pun intended).

I understand what you're trying to do but it doesn't come off. Technically the colour balance is the shower is off, just because it's art doesn't mean that it can't be lit. The talent looked bored, there was no "voyeuristic feel to it at all and the plinky-plinky music didn't add anything. This sort of thing has been done many, many times and much better. Sorry to be so blunt but if you're going to shout your greatness "F*ck off I'm an installation" then you have to be able to back it up with something... you didn't.

Having said all that, video art can move people in ways still images can't. You didn't do it this time but it's obviously something you want to do... I really do wish you luck with your future projects.

Thanks for your feedback. i'm wanted to try someting way different from what i have ever done befor, so this is completely new to me. I have had mixed feedback from a few people. However i take your valid points. oh.. and for the record... she is not a "youth"

thanks

John

Blog Entries

Hi John,

The "youth" comment was not meant as an insult and I hope you didn't take it that way. What I wanted to avoid was to give the impression that this was a smutty video of a woman taking a shower. In fact there is nothing sexual or erotic about the video at all and you don't get to see even a glimpse of any "naughty bits". The person in the shower is videoed in such a way that he/she could be a man or woman without changeing the context. My definition of a "youth" is someone male or female in their late teens.

It is difficult to make good art. The biggest hurdle is to communicate what you're trying to achieve to the recipient. The subject, the feeling you get having your mouth fill up with water from a shower head doesn't translate well into a video installation. In my opinion either the video should be a "pure" video and show, through the participant, what he/she is experiencing. Or it should be an installation which conveys that feeling. The lack of emotion shown by the person in the shower fails to convey what they're experiencing.

As an art installation, the video doesn't stand on its own. When I was at film school it was partnered with an art college and we quickly learnt that anything blown up big looks good. Needless to say our tutors knew this and didn't fall for it. So, a large projection of your video (or any video) will look impressive, but it won't necessarily be good art.

I think this would work as an installation, ie a "live" instillation but not as a video projection.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 04-16-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Loved it. Not sure why - lols.

That could have been a bit in the middle of a really cool french film called ' Lavage ' maybe.

Whatever - it was cohesive and beguiling. I love the punchline.

I think cos video is so good at capturing the surface reality of events we all forget that video has a very arty side more akin to stills photography.

So now we know why women spend so long in the bathroom.

Blog Entries

Yeah - I liked the ending too. Though I have to admit I wouldn't have bothered getting that far (in fact I didn't, the first time I watched) if Mark hadn't made the comment.

I liked the way the knock suddenly turned her from an androgenous mannequin into a sexy human. Or maybe the shower suddenly became a sensual place. I don't know. But it affected the way I felt about her and the film.
    Tim

Blog Entries

yea - it was the look - seemed just right. Clever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    So now we know why women spend so long in the bathroom.
    My ex had 2 somteimes 3 baths a day... thats weird.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    My ex had 2 somteimes 3 baths a day...

We know... You posted most of them on the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast