Thread: Using Corel VideoStudio

Exclamation Using Corel VideoStudio

Hello,

Thanks to Lancecarr I have been able to transfer dv to my pc using VideoStudio. I have a few questions before I start editing.

1) There is an option to slect DV type 1 or DV type 2. I have no idea which I should select. I did experiment and I seem to get the same result but I prefer to ask and understand what those are.

2) Using VideoStudio 12 to capture video under Vista Business, a lot of clips show as 0kb in explorer. Yet they are not empty and indeed do play. What's the deal with that?

3) Playback in Windows Media player looks fine, but I get problems with VLC (VideoLan) which tells me some files are broken and need to be repaired (presumably the files that show 0KB size in explorer). I also get a terrible background noise on some clips. Neither happens in Windows Media Player so it is not very important but again, I want to understand whether the VLC is alerting me to some issues with my captured clips.

Thank you for your advice.

1. Select DV Type 1 for VideoStudio. Generally it does not make much difference but experience tells me that if given a choice VS would take DV Type 1.

The difference is in the way the file is created but you don't need to know the technical stuff for this.

2. Windows was, is and perhaps always will be as useless as t*ts on a bull as far as reporting the properties of video files. Just ignore it. If you want to know the properties then right click the thumbnail of the video from within VS and you will get an accurate report.

3. When you captured the files did you have the "dropped fram counter" switched on? The correct number of dropped frames should be zero. If there were no dropped frames and WMP is playing them fine then I wouldn't worry. Does VS play them ok?

Unfortunately I did not find the dropped frame counter option until today (it isn't in the options of the actual capture front end). Everything seems to play fine so I won't worry. But I will try and test capture again with the dropped framce counter on.

Thanks again lancecarr.

Blog Entries

" Windows was, is and perhaps always will be as useless as t*ts on a bull as far as reporting the properties of video files. "

Really? Right click properties will give you the basics but for sure if you want all the details use '' G-Spot ".

Thank you Mark. What's G-Spot (getting ready for some banter)?

Blog Entries

Lols - G spot is a free app that tells you all about a video file - all the technical guff.

You may find it unhelpfull - I only understand some of what it produces.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Thank you. I'll take a look but information overload is probably not a good thing for a newbie.

Just been browsing Lance's web sites. Off to see yours now...