Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multipurpose

Default Multipurpose

I am reading the manual to vegas and i see that there is an option that if you right click a track (audio) and make sure "show automation controls" is off and you right click the multipurpose slider you should be able to pick different things like your bus or effects to control. I am not seeing it, all im getting is the options like constant, video, 0db center -3 db center etc.. any help?

Blog Entries

Must be missing something. I can't get the multipurpose slider label to change value either. Anyone?
    Tim

Errmm?... I don't understand what you guys are having a problem with? Please explain with a fuller description of your observations and concerns? Could be I don't understand the depth of the issue going on here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Could be I don't understand the depth of the issue going on here?
    Now that IS hard to imagine.....

I'm not at a Vegas machine at the moment so this is a generalisation from memory.

If you assign an audio effect to a an audio track and then select Automation, you can "tick" various checkboxes - each relating to a parameter that is automatable (eg: for a reverb FX these might be dry out, reverb out etc)

Now, in order to assign one of those parameters to the "multipurpose fader" (which is the fader underneath the Vol fader, usually assigned to Pan), you're supposed to be able to click on the label of that slider (ie on "Pan" and it should bring up a drop down of all the other parameters you've made automatable.

Thus you can use the slider to automate Pan or dry out or reverb out etc etc

BUT: Whenver I click on the label next to the "multipurpose fader" I get no drop down (even though I know other FX parameters have been set for automation as I can show their envelopes.

I'm sure it used to work as described, but whilst I plyed with it once I've not used the faciity seriously. (Hence I suspect I'm not setting something up right - but I spent half an hour last night meddling trying to get this to work)
    Tim

Blog Entries

I dont reacall seeing that - cant get that on my vegas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I dont reacall seeing that - cant get that on my vegas.
    It's there in the manual. How else could you use automation?
    Tim

I've got Automation. I've got Bus options. I still don't understand what is the issue here? Being thick is a craft I've honed into a talent all my own . . ..

Blog Entries

OK. Here's what I do ...
    New project.
    Drop a captured file (MiniDV SDDV stright off the camera) onto the timeline.
    Track 1 = video, track 2 = audio.
    Track 2 already has the default Noise Gate, EQ and Compressor.

Let's say I want to automate the threshold level of the Noise Gate. What I do is this...

Right Click on thre track header and
    Either
    (A) Insert/Remove Envelope | FX Automation
    OR
    (B) FX Automation Envelopes | FX Automation

(both bring up the same window)
    and then I place a tick next to Threshold Level and click OK - thus making the noise gate threshold level automatable. I can tell this because the Noise Gate Threshold Level envelope is available to me.

BUT, I want to use the multifunction fader (normally assignmed to "Pan", for real-time automation of the effect.)

According to the manual (p144), I should be able to click on the label of the "multifunction slider" and select pan or any of the automatable fx parameters.

I'm certain I used to get this. But no more? Have I missed something?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    BUT, I want to use the multifunction fader (normally assignmed to "Pan", for real-time automation of the effect.)
    Why? From what I am gathering from your detailed description there is NOW an alternative - read on . . .

According to the manual (p144), I should be able to click on the label of the "multifunction slider" and select pan or any of the automatable fx parameters.
    Understood. And maybe that is something you should take up with SONY?

I'm certain I used to get this. But no more? Have I missed something?
    Maybe, Tim, it is the arrival of the Mixing Console, where I CAN use the sliders in each of the Fx's Sliders to each and all Envelopes - I've just done it - that has cut through this complex operation by bringing it under one Window - Mixing Console. If you have an earlier version of Vegas you could test-bench this operation and then make a comparison with VP8.

Have you tried the Mixing Console in VP8? It has MASSIVE functionality. Now I wouldn't go back to the Track Header for Automation if I don't need too?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Why? From what I am gathering from your detailed description there is NOW an alternative - read on . . .
    Sounds like I'd better take a look. As I hinted at before, I've never actually used this functionality and only looked at it this time because of the OP.

It may well be this new functionality has take over (and the manual hasn't been updated accordingly)

Goody ... more thingies to play with this weekend!!!!!

(But, out of curiosity, Grazie - do you get any options if you click/double-click/right-click on "Pan")
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast