Thread: Linear video editor advice

Question Linear video editor advice

Hi!

I need a recommendation for a linear straight-cuts-type editor akin to Sony's DVGate that I can use for trimming and archiving off-the-air HD recordings.

I recently upgraded to a new PC and installed one the the ATI 650 HD tuner cards, which replaces the SD GigaPocket tuner previously utilized on my older Sony VAIO. The VAIO package included a program called "DVGate" which allowed for simple in and out points and a non-recompressed output. It allowed me to trim the beginning and end points off the video as well as cut out the commercial breaks, then would recopy the frames into a new file without recompression.

The interface was rather simple, with "mark in" and "mark out" buttons that I could press during playback or while paused on a specific frame. The trimmed 'clips' would then appear in a linear list that I could re-arrange with a simple drag and drop.

The new tuner records in 720p MPEG format. I'd like to find something inexpensive that will do the same thing with these files while preserving their native format. Would you direct me to some options?

Blog Entries

Apps that can do that are available but I use a mormal editor for this - recompression with only bits clipped will be real time or faster on most pcs with most sources.

A linear editor, what is that? I think you are confusing a 'linear list' with a linear editor (we used those 20 years ago)? '...that I could re-arrange with a simple drag and drop.' That is non linear editing, what you have just described. What you want to do is use something like Windows Movie Maker, very basic and it will allow you to capture scenes, trim clips and re-arrange them as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    A linear editor, what is that
    Perhaps you would know it better as a straight-cuts editor. It's the way we did it before computer-based editing was invented. Sony's little DVGate app works that way.

Unhappy Straight-cuts export

I tried Windows Movie Maker, and although it does indeed let me cut clips as specified in my request, it requires a conversion to avi or wmv upon saving the clip. Thus, re-compression and not even in the original format. Any other products out there?

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeHeap View Post
    I tried Windows Movie Maker, and although it does indeed let me cut clips as specified in my request, it requires a conversion to avi or wmv upon saving the clip. Thus, re-compression and not even in the original format. Any other products out there?

Conversion to avi isn't necessarily recompression if you specify output to the same codec. IN this case an MPEG format

'avi' and 'mov' are just 'wrappers' - ie packaging for a video file so that windows or mac or whatever can recognise it. Compression (codec) is a different beast.

(don't convert to wmv though.. that does necessitate a recompression.)

MPEG - by its very nature is difficult to edit - because frames aren't stand alone and rely very much for their interpretation on frames surrounding them.
    SO. noone (unless they have to) - cuts mpeg.

BUT - there are ways to trim it...in the way you describe.

Try MPEG STREAMCLIP.... basic cuts trims and exports. Great little tool

Try VLC (from videolan - google it). It's cross-platform, free and allows limited export and trimming. (in any event it is a great video player).

Also try Qtime pro...... which allows basic trimming in the timeline and export... really useful for what i think you're talkng about.
    Not sure if Q-time pro will allow this with MPEG though...... and i haven't got the time to test it out. .......