Thread: Please make some sense for me!

1. Default Please make some sense for me!

Hey people, nice to meet you all.

Im currently looking to purchase a camcorder, i've been looking at HDD cameras as it seems so much less hassel then DV tapes. I also want as good quality as possible and a camera that can cope well with movement. I'm gonna be using it to shoot a lot of wildlife (shoot as in film!). I might stretch to 600, but I wanna know whats better, HD DVD or HDD? Or should i stick with mini dv's? surely not...

I feel a bit baffled by the amount of options available! Are SD card video cams really so unaffordable still?

Has anyone got an HDD camera? whats the footage like?

Id like to hear as many opinions as possible, i'm not going to any retailers cos thats the last place you'll here an opinion! Any replies will be greatly appreaciated! Ta

2. Default

windows movie maker? what an insult!

Don't sulk - It's just a default term used by admin to denote 'newbie'.
    Look in faq's I'm sure all the details will be there.
    When you've made a few more posts you'll automatically get promotion to . . . 'dipstick' - only kidding
    Back to the topic - I've read a posting by a respected producer on another forum of this :-
    Canon HF11 avg 559 inc vat and delivery.
    It shoots full 1920x1080i 50i or 25p at up to 24mbs, but can be adjusted down depending what resoloution is wanted from the AVCHD format.
    It has 32gb flash memory on board but can also slot in 16 or 32gb SDHC class 6 cards as well for ease of transfer to the edit.
    A tiny cam that apparantly packs a big punch.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

HDD (hard disk drive) and coping well with movement is a big no no. They are very prone to bumps and can stop recording, I would go with Zeros recommendation, why get a hard disk camcorder for 600 when you can get a good High Definition model that has an inbuilt memory of 32GB and you can buy memory cards aswell, so no moving parts to worry about when you are being chased by some lions who think you are their dinner. You will need an up to date computer to transfer and edit the video aswell.

5. Default

Thanks Zero & Nikosony that is really useful advice. Yes Nikosony, I'm planning on upgrading my PC before i start transferring & editing footage from my new camera! I guess what i want is some more RAM, faster processor and a good ghx card. Haha! It would be very annoying if i get chased by lions and to have lost my footage of it too! I'll look in to that canon Zero thanks, looks nice & compact too.
    Last edited by MadGeorge; 04-13-2009 at 02:01 PM.

6. Default

Zero, could you tell me where that deal for the Canon HF11 was found? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Real cameras use tape.

HDV is much nicer to edit than AVCHD - many people are forced to convert to another format to edit this common card / HDrive camera video.

Not all that glitters is gold.

The original purchase was from simply electronics, but these prices seem to fluctuate wildly on a weekly basis. Here's another 2 suppliers.
    Some find the editing very straightforward with final cut pro, but it depends on your system and edit software.
    Canon HF 11 PAL Black - 639.99 : Electronic Megastore, Online Shopping

Canon Camcorder, Canon HF11 HD Camcorder - Digitalrev
    Last edited by Zero; 04-13-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club