Thread: HD - Horrible and Difficult.

Blog Entries

Default HD - Horrible and Difficult.

All my cameras are SD DV.

My latest project includes lots of reduced size SD clips so I tht I should edit in 720. Fuck me it is soooo slow on my core duo.

You can almost forget anything more than basic cutting - starting to use colour correction and other fx makes everything sooo slow.

Personally I would say if you want to edit in 720 you MUST have 4 fast cores - the latest kit b marks up to 5 times faster then what I have - that might make it bearable.

Blog Entries

Ah - oops - er - seems I had mblr on on the output bus - ahem - better now but still a pain with fx on.

Mark, I am like you as everything I do is still SD DV, I am holding off for as long as possible until the HDV stables settle down, I still think there is time yet.

I still do not see people buying Blue Ray titles in the shops, maybe they are all online buyers, if they are rich young folk it will be online purchases.

Its funny how we had come to enjoy real time video editing using SD, of coarse it was not always like this and I remember clearly long render times when I first started tinkering with video on computers.

Its also funny how you can tart up SD to a HDV format, most viewers would not know if all the little trick filters are done to the video, sure it may start faling apart on really huge screens, but its fine for youtube.

I'm with you, SD DV forever (well not really ) its just I am so comfortable with it.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Indeed - the slowness stifles my creativity when editing.

I think there is a lot to be said for ease of editing rather then this hysterical and label driven desire for ever more pixels - and what about some decent data rates to fill those pixels??

It is funny that just as our PCs get fast enough for near real time editing in HDV ( 4 cores )we get AVCHD rammed down our throts and now you need 8 cores all of a sudden for real time - lols.

5. Default

Ive been editing in HD for over a year now, its very slow i must agree.
    I have lost heart and soul in my editing style, as you say, you need to flow.

Time to upgrade me ole PC again :(
    Live from Norwich !

Sony PC1000E ( Stopped working after 13months)
    Sony HDR-HC3 4Mega Pixels High Def Mini DV Broke
    Canon HF 10 - Broke
    iPhone4 Sport
    Waiting for the Sony HDR-GW55VE

Avid Studio, + Pinnacle Studio14, Win7 64bit 12 GIG memory, Nvidia GTX590, twin 3D display, 2Terrabyte HD

Blog Entries

Indeed - dont get me wrong I love the chance to shoot in better quality - I strain to keep my video looking great - but on my core duo frustration soon sets in.

It's like a pen that wont write properly. Untill the pen works properly it is hard to be creative.

A work rouind in many editors is to edit a sd version and then replace with the hd for the final render. But that is full of pitfalls in very complex projects.