Thread: dun drink and drive! (playmobil stopmotion video)

Default dun drink and drive! (playmobil stopmotion video)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dETxDmIgZVQ]YouTube - Drunk Driving Stop Motion tru Playmobils[/ame]

hi guys this is a video done by my wife and her students

a very meaningful and educational video

pls watch =)

Blog Entries

Mixed feelings about this one.

I'll leave the technical criticism out, it was done by primary children after all but, even so...

The theme (drunk driving) is very worthy and it sends an important message but, in my opinion, kids should be having fun with video, not lecturing adults. There was a complete lack of imagination from the kids. Where were the aliens? the mermaids? the flying animals? the dozens of wierd and wonderful ideas which kids' imagination produces?
    This could have been made by a government worker.

Primary school kids should, in my opinion, be taught what an exciting, fun, adventurous medium moving pictures are, not how to make serious public-saftey telling-off pointing-fingers video messages.

Others will no doubt disagree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Primary school kids should, in my opinion, be taught what an exciting, fun, adventurous medium moving pictures are, not how to make serious public-saftey telling-off pointing-fingers video messages.

Others will no doubt disagree.
    There are so many things that primary school kids should be taught, and it's impossible to find the time to fit everything in. How much time is to be spent on each subject is also tightly controlled and there simply ain't enough time to fit everything an enthusiastic and able teacher may want to fit in.

I suspect that this film was made as a cross-curricular activity combining some form of art, some ICT and some PHSE (or whatever they're calling social engineering these days)

Thus it could be put together in a comparitively short elapsed time.

Having kids coming up with ideas, then forming a ploy, then a story, then filming and editing as you suggest is certainly achieveable, but given the few hours (minutes) per week that would be available for this, it would probably be a term long project and the interest will have no doubt have died by the end.

I would hope that the kids who really enjoyed this project would be given the opportunity to do something outside school hours for some organised video/film club - but there again there are so many other subjects demanding students and teachers extra curricular attention.

Against the limited amount of time and resource available to dedicate to film making, I think it was a splendid project.

(I should perhaps add that my qualifications in making these comments are not as a profesional in the teaching environment, merely an observer - 14 years looking after computer systems in primary schools, a parent of a 21, 19 and 4 year old and step parent of a 17 and 15 year old and husband of an ex primary school teacher)
    Tim

I think it has to be critiqued in the context in which it was made. Made by school children and their teacher with limited time and as Tim said above possibly spread over weeks or months and the attention and dedication took a nose dive at the end.

Stop motion is a time consuming, mind numbing experience unless you are really into it and you really have to be INTO IT, stay focused and be very disciplined. You need bucket loads of patience and if you are looking for a quick result then stop motion is not for you. I liked it for what it is, perhaps it was a bit weak in terms of storyline, but still enjoyable.

thanks for the critique =)

bump for myself =)

Blog Entries

I love lego vids and I liked this - but it does look like a video an adult wrote.