Thread: is adobe premier cs4 just a bad program?

Default adobe premier cs4 playback help!! urgent!

I'm trying to edit and put togeather a video in adobe premier. When I click on a source file to play the video, it runs ok audio, but the video only displays one frame every five or six seconds. The video is shot in HD if that matters, but the computer I'm using has 4GB of ram, and in the task manager, premier only takes up two, ruling out hardware problems. The video plays fine anywhere else, even in windows movie maker. Is there any way to fix this??
    Last edited by sumplesnoob; 04-10-2009 at 09:32 PM.

never mind, guys, im new to this program, so i didn't know you had to run your source through the media encoder.

you don't.... what format was the video recorded in? because if it was recorded in AVCHD, it could be putting stress on the processor, ram or even the harddrive.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    you don't.... what format was the video recorded in? because if it was recorded in AVCHD, it could be putting stress on the processor, ram or even the harddrive.
    Yep it certianly stresses your computer.
    On just starting it up and not doing an edit it uses 341mb of memory, compare that to 60mb that my premiere pro 2 uses. When i use pro2 its zippy and works fine but CS4 drops frames and the fan comes on and stays on just to try and cool my processor!! I tend to use prem 2 !

5. Default

Make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date.. thats what fixed it for me and i edit with AVCHD on a 2.8 quad with 8gb of ram.

if i need i can very painfully edit 1080p avchd video using a Intel Pentium dual core 2.2ghz with 2 gb of ram