Thread: Help please - No communication between Z1 to FCP

Default Help please - No communication between Z1 to FCP

This may be a common question or has already featured on this site in the past?.

I am no longer able to log and capture in Final Cut Pro via my Sony Z1 camera (Video deck) through FireWire and am begininng to think that the FireWire port has totally gone within the Z1 for some reason??

One thing I did do to my haste was to insert the 6-pin end of the Firewire Cable into my scratch hard drive the wrong way around before realising I inserted it wrongly but would this be enough to cause damage to the FireWire port and board within the Z1 camera?

I do not use the AC Adapter from the mains when logging and capturing camera - just run it from it's batteries. as I'm aware that this has caused problems in the past.

If anybody has had similar problems with the Z1 - FCP logging and capturing or FireWire problems and can identify my problem then I would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts.

Many thanks and Happy easter

Simone

Blog Entries

Fire wire ports do break - had it myself once. I dont think the plug thing will have broken anythnig, and batteries is irrlevant surely.

Does the computer recognise the cam is plugged in? - in windows you get a ' bing ' .

Can you try on another computer ?

Quote Originally Posted by sibayzer View Post
    One thing I did do to my haste was to insert the 6-pin end of the Firewire Cable into my scratch hard drive the wrong way around before realising I inserted it wrongly but would this be enough to cause damage to the FireWire port and board within the Z1 camera?
    you canot daisy chain cameras or decks, you can do it weith everything else but not with them, they need their own port.

How many pieces of equipment are you trying to connect to a single Firewire port? I would try using a new Firewire cable and another computer as suggested above.

I am only connecting the one camera to the external drive via the Firewire port. I still have no communication between camera and FCP log and capture so I thinking that both FireWire ports of muffed up.

This has also screwed up the FireWire board within my Z1 as well so beware!

try plugging the camera directly into your computer and see if it works.

Default Thanks

Re-set the scratch disks back to the hard drive on the G5 and yes it works. So my problem is that the Firewire ports on the external hard drive have blown.

Unfortunately they have taken out the Firewire board within my Z1 in the process!

A new external HD and a trip to the technicians for my Z1.

Thanks for you help.

My tip: Never rush things when you a connecting hardware together!