Thread: PAL NTSC issue

Default PAL NTSC issue

Hi there,

I essentially know nothing about film or video, so please forgive my ignorance on this subject. I want to purchase a relatively cheap mini-dv cam. I am from the U.S. but live in Spain, so I am unsure about which type of system I should buy (PAL or NTSC).

My plan is to shoot video in Spain and send it digitally to my friend in the States for editing using Final Cut on a Mac. Will I run into any compatibility issues sending something shot in PAL to my friend who has an American-made computer? Does PAL/NTSC matter when it comes to loading, sending and editing on computers, or do issues only arise with television? I don't plan on making DVDs...the videos will only be for online use. Thank you in advance for your help.

-Brandon

Blog Entries

So long as your friend isnt a numpty it should be fine. But pal cameras do give better results.

No problem as you are only sending your friend a video file (preferably an avi file) or whatever format you intend to use, so PAL and NTSC doesn't enter into it. And as the finished file is only going online then there is even less to worry about. what is broadband like in Spain, is it reliable?

Hi,

Thanks for the email. This is reassuring. I think I'll go with PAL. Broadband in Spain could be better. We recently switched from Telefonica (which is terrible) to Orange, which is a lot better, but far from perfect.

Thanks again,
    Brandon

Email? I didn't send you an email, I presume you mean response? The reason I asked about the broadband is you are going to be using it quite a lot for sending real ass kicker (large) video files across to your friend but I presume you know that already.