Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop vid - WIP - feedback pls.

Blog Entries

Default Pop vid - WIP - feedback pls.

Its a sad song. Lost love and all that. Hence traffic idea - looking for lost love sort of.

I am just playing with ideas and this is my first go at the overall look.

Screening worked well I think with most of the green reflected light c corrected out.

Is the direct to camera too strong???

Do you think - oeeeee that w screen is too dirty???

Syching is a bit off at the end I realise and I need to mask out the rays that escape the frame.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/MF/best.wmv 3mbit stream.

Blog Entries

Great look. Simple & effective.

You appear to have done a superb job with the chromakey/colour correction. I tried hard but couldn't see a hint of green or corona around the edges.

I loved the softer look of the background track - did you shoot that yourself? And how did you process it?

Direct to camera too strong? Tricky one that.
    I didn't think it was too much during the sustained opening shot - it combined vulnerability, sadness and resignation. However the shots later, for some reason, became a bit more disturbing.

I liked the fact that you had the head shots one side and the guitar shots the other side, but felt that some of the shots were held for too long once the song got going and with only two shots to choose from it would look wrong if you cut any faster between them.
    Consider another shot? Maybe a full height playing the guitar? Or a head shot in profile?

The only technical thing that I wasn't too sure of was the contrast in the guitar shot. The head of the Rickenbaker and you left hand are overexposed at times whereas your right side is in virtual darkness - I appreciate for the composition it wants to be lit from the side you lit it, but the whites in the middle are a bit too white (once I'd noticed it)

Most importantly, the video complimented the song. Definitely worth progressing from WIP.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Syching is a bit off at the end I realise and I need to mask out the rays that escape the frame.
    The end of the guitar is also lost 'off screen' (in the middle of the screen) at least once.

Blog Entries

Ha - well spotted Marc - that is really annoying.

As often the case I didnt have clear ideas for this when filming, consequently we are going to refilm much of the raw video - so maybe that shot again.

Head shot to be re done less cropped with a bit more care with the lighting.

Tim - that iusnt over exposed in the camera but a thing in post. I used the c corrector to add ' grey ' light both to the standing figure and the face on one side - almost as if the light from the background is illuminating the figure.

Prob reshoot later and may try modulating the light ( courtesy of my assistant and cardboard ) so that it appears synched to the passing lights - may work.

Ta very much for helpful feedback.

Blog Entries

Tim - that iusnt over exposed in the camera but a thing in post. I used the c corrector to add ' grey ' light both to the standing figure and the face on one side - almost as if the light from the background is illuminating the figure.
    Yes, I thought that was the effect you were after. Interesting you'd done it in post though - certainly caught me out.

Prob reshoot later and may try modulating the light ( courtesy of my assistant and cardboard ) so that it appears synched to the passing lights - may work.
    You do like to set yourself a challenge, don't you?
    Tim

Blog Entries

A challenge - I do like a challenge yes. That bot you said looked o exposed is now toned down - was too much.

I am trying to keep this simple yet persuasive so touches like that may make it work well.

Going to reshoot traffic today with a clean w screen and reshoot all the screened stuff after we have a clearer idea of what we want from the first shoot / rough edits.

Also going to g screen the other band members for the instrumental bits.

I wish he didnt want a video for a 7.5 min song - oh well.

Blog Entries

Re shot the motorway last night. Got the windscreen clean. Shot with a shutter speed of 1/6 sec, meaning that the frame rate was effectively about 4fps.

The raw video looks vile as the adaptor is actually too small for my camera but does the job and the image is full of weird reflections and rain spots and flares.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/MF/rawtraffic.wmv

But after much fiddling I ended up with this - rough as just wanted to see how it looked.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/MF/traffic2test.wmv

Blog Entries

That's quite incredible. As you say the raw video looks vile. Yet your various treatments create a flowing, atmospheric and persistent movement.
    Inspires me to start tinkering......
    Tim

Blog Entries

Yea - I love doing ' heavy ' work in post like that - it amazes me what you can do when it comes together as you hoped.

The traffic is sppeded up 4 times with a very very steep curve to make it all blak and white. Rendered twice with different amounts of motion blurr to get the look I wanted.

Playing with tarty fades now - and reshooting Mike's head later.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/MF/radialin.wmv That was done usiing a keyframed radial blurr set to proportional with some level k framed too.

The only thing I'd have liked to see was when the lead guitar plays during the intro, to actually have seen it, rather than the rhythm guitar. It's a muso thing... sorry.

I've seen it in real concert footage where the guitarist (or more importantly from an aging progger's point of view the keyboard player) is ripping through the solo and the director has the camera firmly on the lead singer who's ponsing about with a tambourine at the time...

Liked the look, and the direct to cam stuff was OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast