Thread: MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4

Default MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4

Can anyone advise on the ease of editing MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4? For a novice, is one easier to edit than the other? If it helps, my system is Dell laptop running Vista on a 2.0 GH T7200 duo core chip with 2.0 GB RAM and 256 MB NVidia quadro video card.

FYI, Iím trying to decide between a Canon SD camcorder (MPEG-2) and a Sanyo (MPEG-4). Also, I've not purchased editing software yet, but I understand there are good options for both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4.

Blog Entries

Mpeg 2 based compression is used on dvd camcorder and dvds and is similar to DV compression.
    Each frmae is compressed like a jpeg with no referance to other frames.

Mpeg4 compression is used on HDV, AVCHD, wmv, divx, xvid and compresses video much more by looking at differences across a group of frames. This is more efficient but needs much more processor power when editing / rendering.

Your PC will edit either fine but mpeg4 stuff - esp AVCHD will be much more clunky in the editor and rendering times will be about 5 times longer than SD.

Dont forget most decent cameras that shoot HD will shoot sd too.

Many mpeg4 based cameras are little more then toys - many of the very comapct card mp4 cameras are not a good camera tool.

Be aware anything AVCHD is very clunky to edit and peope often convert for this reason.

My advice is get a HDV tape camera, you can still record in SD DV if you want and spec a mic connection.

Awesome explanation.

Yeah what he said. I have a little samsung camera that shoots mpeg4 hd vids and I am trying to make a simple slide show with video to some music to have a recap of my vacation. After months of dinking around I am still fighting mpeg4 Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Blog Entries

Some editors edit raw mp4 files from palm corders - I am not sure which - try a post asking.

Best convertor - ' super c' - free.

Hi I thought Mpeg 4 was derived from Mpeg 2, I remember when encoding Mpeg 2 for PAL DVDs it had a GOP of 15 between I frames with B and P frames making up the rest, I see now with AVCHD the GOP can be 30 so the compression is far more aggressive, looking at the spec of your computer, it would handle Mpeg2 or Mpeg 4 if the frame size was standard 720x576 or HDV 1440x1080, but if you went to AVCHD or Mpeg 4 at 1920x1080 it would struggle especially with Vista