Thread: Live Streaming Solution...

Default Live Streaming Solution...

This isn't exactly a PC, but I couldn't see where else to post this, so I am sorry if its off topic.

I am kind of a newbie at video, and I was looking at putting together a solution for streaming live and static content. I have done this before, but the last solution of this nature I built was using an Apple Xserve, Xserve-RAID, a PowerBook all using QuickTime Streaming Server and other bits of Apple software.

This time I would like to use Flash, and I am not as familiar with Flash and Windows based solutions as I would like to be, hence this post.

The static part of the solution isn't really what is confusing me. The static content would be ripped from external company supplied DVD's (which I have copyright over) using a combination of DVDFab and Handbrake. I would then convert and stream this on a (big!) server running Adobe Media Encoding Server and Adobe Media Streaming Server - although I am not sure if I actually need to buy both

The rooms that I would be live streaming from are all wired for audio, and have Gb networking capability to the core network that the above server would be on.

So I presume in addition to the software and server above I would need some sort of mixing deck to take the audio from the room to, a laptop, a digital video camera a tripod and a decent laptop to take the video and audio from the room to and then stream out to the server

The only thing I require is that the laptop be an Apple laptop so I can dual boot between OSX and Windows.

Budget isn't really an issue, but this won't be used very often, so I don't want to spend more than £15k - 17k (ex. VAT) which includes the cost of the server.

I was thinking that a MacBook Pro, a Sony HVR-HD100E with a decent tripod and a small mixing desk like the Yamaha MG82CX would work, but I don't know what software I would need for live capture and streaming from the laptop to the server.

What equipment and software do people recommend for this sort of solution? Has anyone got any advice or solutions for me?

Many thanks in advance! This is a really exciting project for me, and I will keep people updated on how I go if they are interested!

Blog Entries

Live streaming stuff is way out of my expirience - but others may help - but not really what this site is all about.

Gotta ask - is it pron -

> Live streaming stuff is way out of my expirience - but others may help - but
    > not really what this site is all about.

Yeah, I kind of gathered that, but I couldn't see anywhere on the Internet that made sense to post If anyone knows somewhere, please let me know.

> Gotta ask - is it pron -

Haha! Only if you get off to watching local government presentations and council speeches

No, no its not That really made me laugh though.

Blog Entries

I can comment on cameras and stuff.

Camera you mention - fine - no problemo.

key to a decnt video presentation when shooting on lower end video - low as in sub £20,000 is lighting. I suggest also investing in a set of 3 video lights and learning the basics of 3 point lighting - even buy in some pro support / advice.

Goodlighting is what sets apart ok from good.

Same for sound - often overlooked.