Thread: Jessops and their 1500 lunchbox...

Default Jessops and their 1500 lunchbox...

I was just looking at the Jessops website last night and I noticed they have increased, yes increased the price of a number of their camcorders recently. One in particular caught my attention, the Sony HVR-HD1000E, they have increased the price of this camcorder from 1349 to 1399 and it now sells for 1499. I feel a rant coming on... how the hell can they do that when everyone else is selling it for around 1100 to 1200, how can they justify the extra 300 to 400? What are you getting in reality for that money, isn't it just a mini dv camcorder costing no more than 900 stuck inside a large plastic Thomas the tank engine lunch box and you are being asked to pay 1500 for it. It's not a recent model either, and with new models coming out now and over the next few months surely the prices should have started to fall. Jessops really need to get a grip and start living in the real world or they are going to start to lose customers.

Blog Entries

But the customer service? All thier expert knowledge?? Thier wisdom about video???

" yea mate AVCHD is the newest and best thing and everyone needs a 200 times zoom ".

Don'y buy the Sony EX1 there then! They are selling it for 6800...

We paid ours 4200 with extra case, another 8gb sxs card and shoulder support last October. Official UK with two years prime support.

Although this is turning into a lunchbox for us with its useless IR contamination turning blacks maroon etc...

I know Sony prices have gone up of late but 6800...thats 2600 more than what we paid without the extras.

I think they must have excellent customer service

Cheers.

Blog Entries

GDR - " Although this is turning into a lunchbox for us with its useless IR contamination turning blacks maroon etc... "

Tell me more - I dont expect to have much money in the forseeable but that camera is on my short list.

It looks like this craze of stuffing a small camcorder inside a large grey (plastic) box and charging an arm and a leg for it is set to continue. I suppose the old adage of shop around is best as haggling about the price would seem to be out of the question when there are hundreds or even thousands of a difference in price. I always thought they were good on price three or four years ago but recently they seem to have lost the plot completely in terms of pricing, do they not check the competition and see that their competitors prices are much lower. I just think they are taking a liberty. Oh and Sony aswell, they have 20X in large print on the side of the camcorder making you think at first glance it has a 20x optical zoom but oh no, it's a digital zoom.