Thread: Converting VOBs to a high quality editable video?

Default Converting VOBs to a high quality editable video?

Hello all,

I am making a videogame montage and I captured all the footage on a DVD via DVD Recorder. I finalized the DVD and then extracted the VOBs onto my computer. I want to edit and cut certain segments in my Pinnacle Studio, but it doesn't seem to be very compatible with VOB files. I'm trying to find an encoder that can encode the file into a high quality video format that I can edit through Pinnacle Studio. MPEG, AVI, anything like that would work...I'd like to be raw video footage too. I tried the little change the VOB into MPEG extension trick but that failed, haha. Any suggestions on software? Thanks.

If you're looking at making your video footage better than what you've got, you're out of luck - you can't realistically improve source footage.

However, converting it to another format can be done by using a program called "Super C": SUPER .

It's a lovely little thing, even if the website does look a bit cacky.

You can always rename your VOB's to mpg and see if your program is happy then.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want any converted footage to be of the same quality. There aren't many programs that do that lol. I did forget about Super though. lol.
    And the VOB to mpg thing doesn't work. lol

Same quality and high quality are two different things. VOB files by there nature cannot be made higher quality, they are what they are, use SUPER C or some other software to convert to avi so it is easier to edit.

Have you a later version of Pinnacle Studio, some of the older programs were fine for avi but were not able to handle mpg (VOB), a program that is good at editing mpg is Womble and does "Smart Render" so you finish up with the same quality as the original, other programs will do the same ie. Video Studio Pro X2 for one. but it's like Mike and Nikosony say you can't improve the qaulity, so just try and keep the qaulity you have with programs that don't do any reconvertion.