Thread: random hard disk problem

Default random hard disk problem

Hi all.

When I boot my computer it sometimes doesn't find my hdd.
    I've replaced the sata cable, and recently added an extra hdd which has had no problems. I've got a gigabyte motherboard and the drive is a seagate barracuda 320gb. I've looked through BISO settings repeatedly but have had no luck. The tricky bit is that it does it sometimes, not all the time, and I cant see a pattern.

Hopefully someone has had a similar experience or has some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dennis View Post
    Hi all.

When I boot my computer it sometimes doesn't find my hdd.
    I've replaced the sata cable, and recently added an extra hdd which has had no problems. I've got a gigabyte motherboard and the drive is a seagate barracuda 320gb. I've looked through BISO settings repeatedly but have had no luck. The tricky bit is that it does it sometimes, not all the time, and I cant see a pattern.

Hopefully someone has had a similar experience or has some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    First of all - back up! back up! back up! BACK UP YOUR STUFF! If it's being dodgy, there's a very real chance that it could be on it's way out, and you don't want to lose your data.

How often does it do this?

Anyway - once your data is backed up, I recommend running a full diagnostic on your hard drive. As I've not worked in computer hardware for about 18 months, I'm not sure of a constant HD Stress Testing tool, but I do know that HDTune is a good utility that will benchmark and run diagnostics on your drive.

Blog Entries

I use this free app - SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

GHives you temps and can check your drives smart monitoruing function too - it ains to spot and diagnose dodgy drives befor they fail.

Are you running a dual boot computer or single boot? If it is dual boot what Operating Systems have you got, did you set them up correctly? Has this problem only started after you fitted the second hard disk? Maybe you loosened a cable/connector when installing the new disk did you check?

Thanks for your replies, I should have done this ages ago.
    This has actually been happening on and off for over 2 years! There will be months when its fine then a week when it takes 5 or 10 goes to start it. Or a month when it take 2 goes every second day. Seems really random.

I have a version of Everest, would that do stress testing? I'll try those other programs for sure, hopefuly tonight.

No it's single boot. And yes it was doing this before the second hdd.
    Also it is powering up.
    I've tried different slots on the m/board too.

thanks again guys

i have been disappointed with recent seagate and maxtor hard drives recently. i would recommend buying a western digital hard drive and copy or "clone" your other hard drive onto the new one.