Thread: Extern soundsoruce in Sony vegas 9?

Question Extern soundsoruce in Sony vegas 9?

Hi!
    Just registered here and I am hoping someone here can help me!

Here is my problem. I am using a JVC digital videocam to capture picture when I do music videos. It is connected to my computer by firewire. But the mic on that cam is crap. So I bought a new extern mic that I connected to the soundcard of my computer. So far so good. The new mic works great when I am using it in musiceditors and all that stuff. But when it comes to use it in vegas and NOT have the videocam record the audio its just a no go.

I have tried different sound sources in the audio setup. But they all record from the videocam. This is driving me nuts because now I have to record the picture in vegas and capture sound in cubase (music program) and then try to make them work in vegas after. Takes me much longer time then just press record.

Anyone have ANY ideas why my mic wont be the number one source for collecting audio instead of the videocam?

Help...

Blog Entries

Do you see the ' arm for record ' button ? Right next to the audio track name.

Hi!
    Yeah I see it (right in the vouce, music and soundeffect fields. They all got this button). And it seem like it do get sound in from the mic there. I see the monitor line moving when I tap my mic with my fingers. But when I capture it still only take the sound from the cam, and thats the stuff I need changed. I want no sound from cam and only from mic.

What am I missing here?

Blog Entries

are you next hitting the record button ? - is with transport controls at bottom of time line.

When I hit that recording start. And I can see its recording the sound. But when I save it as voice or music and try and replay what I recorded the sound is blank? And even if I made sound for say 1 minute it only show up as maby 1 second?
    Nothing have been recorded?

But how does this work with capture funktion? Is it not suposed to just collect from the mic when I pick capture and start recording in that part of vegas?

Should it not be possible to shut down the cam and just use the mic directly in that option?

I take it that Extern is slang for "External" Maybe its me being an old fart

Im not a Vegas lover (Im sure people have heard that from me before) but its probably the same as most "VIDEO" editors.

Capture the video and audio from the camera the normal way, then capture the audio from the mic in whatever program you want. When in Vegas im sure you can "MUTE" the sound from the camera and allow the sound you recorded from your mic.....

Now slap me twice if thats not possible people...

How about this.

If you have captured the video already! Wont the sound be very much different if you know try and record it on a mic plugged into the computer - I mean each time you try and record the audio do you have the band or musician playing right next to it? Even if you do, they might be off-beat slightly.

Having done the odd gig and bash for some unknown rubbish bands who thought they were the next U2, i can tell you that it should be the other way round.

You do the audio, then shoot the video while the song is playing...

If you are taking the audio from an already recorded source then why not just plug that into your computer and transfer the files?

Vegas will record what your saying or playing into the mic, just have a quick look on the help files and im sure it will tell you what you need to do to allow that "track" to be heard, while the sound from the video is muted.

Mitch

Ok I taken a screenshot.
    This is what it looks right after I have recorded some audio.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/imm0c4.jpg
    Looks ok right? It has recorded something?

Here is the text I get when I recorded and look at the properties of the clip I just recorded. Its the audio only. The saved ones that is.

General
    Name: Voice Recording 13.wav
    Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\******\Lokala inställningar\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio PE\9.0\Recordings
    Type: Wave (Microsoft)
    Size: 2,45 MB (2 507 264 bytes)
    Created: den 5 april 2009, 17:39:45
    Modified: den 5 april 2009, 17:41:44
    Accessed: den 5 april 2009, 17:41:44
    Attributes: Archive

Streams
    Audio: 00:00:00,000, 44 100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo, Uncompressed

ACID information
    ACID chunk: no
    Stretch chunk: no
    Stretch list: no
    Stretch info2: no
    Beat markers: no
    Detected beats: no

Other metadata
    Regions/markers: yes
    Command markers: no

Media manager
    Media tags: no

Yes ofcourse I can mute the sound from the cam and record in another program. But this will give me extra work and I have to make sure the soundfile and movie file is in synk and looks ok. Thats why I want it to capture movie from cam and sound from mic and not "cam mic" in the vegas it self. And since its clearly that vegas notice my mic I just dont get it why this cant be done the way I want it to. I mean I cant be the only one who records with external mics and a moviecam source that are not the one and same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchuk View Post
    I take it that Extern is slang for "External" Maybe its me being an old fart

Im not a Vegas lover (Im sure people have heard that from me before) but its probably the same as most "VIDEO" editors.

Capture the video and audio from the camera the normal way, then capture the audio from the mic in whatever program you want. When in Vegas im sure you can "MUTE" the sound from the camera and allow the sound you recorded from your mic.....

Now slap me twice if thats not possible people...

How about this.

If you have captured the video already! Wont the sound be very much different if you know try and record it on a mic plugged into the computer - I mean each time you try and record the audio do you have the band or musician playing right next to it? Even if you do, they might be off-beat slightly.

Having done the odd gig and bash for some unknown rubbish bands who thought they were the next U2, i can tell you that it should be the other way round.

You do the audio, then shoot the video while the song is playing...

If you are taking the audio from an already recorded source then why not just plug that into your computer and transfer the files?

Vegas will record what your saying or playing into the mic, just have a quick look on the help files and im sure it will tell you what you need to do to allow that "track" to be heard, while the sound from the video is muted.

Mitch

There is some definite discrepancy here -

Answer me these:

1. Are you doing a "LIVE" capture? i.e. are you trying to film a music video while at the same time trying to capture the audio onto your computer while the band are playing?????

2. Are you trying to capture different audio other than that on the camcorder? i.e. Are you trying to capture the sound from another camcorder or trying to sing at the same time as the video is playing????

3. Are you trying to capture the audio from an already recorded source?

4. When you say "Yes ofcourse I can mute the sound from the cam and record in another program. But this will give me extra work and I have to make sure the soundfile and movie file is in synk" Then you have already answered your own question. This is what video editing is all about - - - - editing sound and moving picturtes together. But can i ask - Did you read the last post!!

Here it is again - You do the audio, then shoot the video while the song is playing...

Now then, regarding your other post before your last one can i point you towards the streams part please.

Streams
    Audio: 00:00:00,000, 44 100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo, Uncompressed

Again im not a vegas pro, and i didnt do that well at math, but 00:00:00,00, would suggest that you ARENT RECORDING ANYTHING.

1. Yes I am doing the capture while I play my instrument and sing. All at ones.
    2. Yes. I want to have a microphone as audio source instead of the built in microphone on the camcorder when I capture. This is where the problem is. I can record movie and sound from the cam, no problem. But problem starts when I want to shut off the sound on the cam and use a different mic, not connected to the cam it self.

Backround story. I bought a pro recording mic a week back.
    Here is an old movie.

Now this is audio from the digicam mic. I just use capture and it record movie and sound at ones. But the sound is a little bit crap. So I bought a good mic.

Now here is that video.

But to make the last video I had to first record the picture in vegas. And at the same time record the sound in Cubase (a studio program for doing audiotracks) and then try to synk them.

What I want is to be able to do as I did the first time. Get the audio synked directly to the movie and all inside vegas. So same picture source, differens audiosource.

But for some reason this is a bitch to do.

Yeah I see it turns up as a 00.00.00.000 also. But if you look at the screenshot, something is registered in the audofields. Why is it not saved then? :(