Thread: Sharp ViewCam VL-WD450H Download video to PC

Default Sharp ViewCam VL-WD450H Download video to PC

I appear to have discovered a horrendous problem with the above Sharp model Camcorder. Although High End it is now discontinued but has less than 5 hours on the clock due to being in storage but is as new and works perfectly. However I have discovered something very serious and would welcome the comments of others who have also purchased this expensive Sharp Model in the UK no matter how long ago.

I find I am unable to to down load video content from the camera to my PC using the supplied DV i.LINK cable supplied. Unusualy and inexplicably no software or Camera Drivers are or were supplied with this model at time of purchase. In the absence of device drivers no content can be downloaded or edited. This makes the camera useless for anything other than recording to DV tape. All the normal web based Driver Archives have never heard of them. There is now more than a very big questionmark over whether any drivers for this model were ever produced or ever existed. This worrying conclusion is arrived at by the fact that Sharp have failed to produce the errant Windows Drivers or able to state the specific Windows driver designation or location so it/they can be downloaded. It goes without saying all Computer/Camera leads,plugs, sockets, ports, and Windows XP are working properly. It is also known that Sharp did in fact provide their own optional motion video editing package which is now unavailable but must have included the Devive Drivers.

Unbelievably Sharp insist that Windows XP contains all the required drivers making them either incompetent , liars, or both as Windows does not provide any device drivers and can only look for them and/or report their availability or absence through Device Manager. If it weren't for the the dismissive arrogance of Sharp in the way they have handled such a basic technical matter of fact I would have dropped it. However I am now minded to sue this company and if a sufficient numbers of hitherto non complaining like minded people who have also bought this model and suffered a similar fate It might be worth going after Sharp with a Class Action Law Suit for damages.

If this matter can be solved technically-great.I would love to hear from anyone who has come across this problem before and found a solution.Please feel free to contact me directly if you prefer at ron741@btinterent.com.

Blog Entries

Whoaa there cowboy - call of the dogs of war or you are gonna look well daft.

It doesnt need drivers !

If you have xp you have the free xp editor - use that to capture from the camera - have a look see and all should be well.

Blog Entries

Of course - the problem may lie in a faulty output in the firewire socket on the camera - often caused (as most of us are aware) by plugging or unplugging while the camera is powered up. Have you checked that before you go wading in?

And Mark (and Sharp too), are correct - It doesn't need drivers.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 04-06-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Just use a normal firewire cable, it could be the cable buggered. use equipment that you know works. if not you could always record on that and capture using a dv deck of an different camera.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    ..it could be the cable buggered. use equipment that you know works..
    The OP states -
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmith3260 View Post
    ..It goes without saying all Computer/Camera leads,plugs, sockets, ports, and Windows XP are working properly..
    But your final suggestion is a good one if as I suspect, the f/w output on the camera is shafted..

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Of course - the problem may lie in a faulty output in the firewire socket on the camera - often caused (as most of us are aware) by plugging or unplugging while the camera is powered up. Have you checked that before you go wading in?

And Mark (and Sharp too), are correct - It doesn't need drivers.
    Thanks for the comments folks. However you assumed that I wasn't using any video capture software. Sorry my fault. I didn't make clear that both Movie Maker and Photoshop Premier Elements were reporting the need for Drivers through Device Manager.

However you appear to have missed the main point completeely. I and many other readers will be of the opinion that all devices connected to a computer need drivers of some description. A mere statement to the contrary is unhelpful to say the least. Because then it is merely an opinion and as we all know, in context of the old military coloquialism, 'everybody's got a slightly different one'.

Consequently I, and I suspect many others would be grateful for the benefit of your technical expertise in explaining precisely why this camera and others like it do not require drivers and what it is in XP that replaces the drivers.

I tend to agree at this junction that the problem is probably due(if I accept your no drivers required explanation) to the firewire connection at the camera end as I am confident the PC port is OK. I have managed to find someone capable of checking this for me and should find out tomorrow.

Blog Entries

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310433

• Windows XP comes with full support with IEEE 1394; you are not required to install any software. If you need to install an adapter, simply plug it in to an available adapter slot, and Windows XP completes the installation.
    • To install an IEEE 1394 device, your computer must have an IEEE 1394 adapter. If it does, then you are only required to plug in the device.
    • The IEEE 1394 drivers that you may need are provided by the manufacturer. Most IEEE 1394 devices do not need special drivers.

I'll grant you that the article states MOST devices do not need special drivers - but I haven't found any camera yet that doesn't (from cheap 100 Mini DV through to high end Sony and JVC's), and furthermore if your particular camera did, I'm sure there would have been far more of an outcry - there hasn't been...

So - not just an 'opinion' - fact. Remember - we're trying to help you here...
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 04-08-2009 at 07:44 AM.