Thread: Bullet cameras

Default Bullet cameras

Hey all,

Im after a bullet camera for action shots and quick moving scenes.

I.e. - Think "Police Stop". Im not doing that, but i am doing a chase scene where eventually the theif gets shafted with a base ball bat in the face, lasts 22 seconds and for 8 seconds i want a chase cam that shows the theifs perspective, i.e. looking over his shoulder while running away and peering round a corner.

Having tried it with my HVR-HD1000 in the reverse run (Running backwards showing the reverse angle of the theif) its a bit naff, its too smooth and i cant get the correct angle of the haed when he is looking round the corner.

So im looking for a bullet / action camera that i can strap onto the guy and take footage from that will show his actual movement and the speed in which his head is moving....

If that makes sense guys and you know what i am needing please let me know, i would also be interested in your thoughts if you have used one before.

Im in the UK, i only want to buy from a UK shop or online retailer in the uk.

Cheers Mitch

Blog Entries

Shots that look like thay may hve been done with a bullet can are actually often done with a full size camera with shake added.

A bullet cam will have a very noticable differnet look to the captured video.

Gaffa tape and a compact dv/hdv camera is another option - one that I have used.

If you still want a bullet cam then my usual rec is dog cam - forum users have good things to say about them. ( they didnt pay me to say thet ).

Helmet camera bullet cameras from dogcamsport

Hi Mark,

I tried the mini dv on the head thing, (Gaffa tape all over the guys head with the camera strapped to the helmet) but this came out either too high in the shot (Different perspective) or was off target.

The shots will be cut with footage taken with the 1000e and will need to be of the same height as the actor (i.e. lokoing at the same brick prior to looking round the courner).

However the quality needs to be good but it will be blured slightly by me in post anyway so not a huge problem, as we know its not the camera that makes the shot its how its made that counts. Telling the story in a believable way that is seemless in its cut is better than crystal clear images.

I have had a good old look at the site you recomended and they do look quite good. Ill call them up on Monday and find out a bit more about them.

The camera angle, movement, rotation and such needs to be as close to the actors real movements as possible, so the smaller camera "Dogcam 2" looks good enough, its a bit of cash to plash without actually seeing it perform or looking at the footage it takes, but im willing to throw a bit of cash at this project.

Thanks again Mark, always good avice from you.

Anyone else use one or know of any other ways / cams i can use??

Mitch

Blog Entries

I fancy one of those ones that is tiny and records to a sd card - whole thing is the size of an egg.

Not he best qualiy i expect but dead easy to use. No external recodrder needed.

Blog Entries

^^^ lols - 2000 - I will have one for me and one for the cat.

2000 is a hell of a lot of cash for 8 seconds worth of work, and i cant find any videos on youtube that shows its ability.

It would do the trick though and i have popped it on my christmas wish list.

thanks Komatoast.

Mitch

7. Default

i totally agree its a bit overkill for your shot but look at it!!! its ace!

test footage ->

komatoast

Thanks for finding a good video on Youtube.

It does look great, i have a few people here round the laptop with me here in Norwich and they are thinking about getting one. Me however ill wait for an action type job to come along before i splash out all that cash.

In cyrrent climate the more real cash i have in my pocket the quicker i can get the clients work done - paying a runner to go and get my a bacon and sausage in cash is always a good idea, as they never seem to have any cash on them....

I say runner but i mean the wife.

I might save up and get one for those extravegant company promo shots that show them having a good time on a "Bonding day". That is unless companies have stopped doing them!!

Thanks again komatoast. If anyone else has seen a cheaper alternative please let me know.

For the current job ill be trying to get the shot right with either a tiny mini dv cam or have another go with my bigger cam.

Mitch

9. Default

Where in the UK are you ?

I use a Bullet cam for in-car stuff ( Rally ) - got mine from DagCam, its a decent quality one

As said above, its not going to have the same quality as your main cameras, but if thats the effect your looking for then who are we to argue

Incidently if you were looking to buy, mine set me back about 700 all in, with camera, recorder, memory card, and a few extras like roll bar clamp and extra wires

Look on the dogcam website ( think www.fastfilms.co.uk takes you there ) and its the HQRII package i have