Thread: Hard Drive.

Default Hard Drive.

Hi,

I'm a couple of months into editing with Sony Vegas.

Thanks mostly to this site and reading everything I can, it's going really well.
    Hell, I'm even colour curving now! (still no idea what a codec is tho'!)

I have no hardware issues and I'm using a pretty good laptop...
    250 gig hard drive
    3 gig ram
    2.0 processor
    My question is this..should I be thinking of getting a separate hard drive to store all of my video on?
    Is that what most of you guys do?

If so, are there good and bad ones? do they crash?
    I looking at a 1000 gb one for 90 (Maplins)

I just want to keep things running as sweetly as possible.

Mike.

I think most hard drives are pretty good now.. Keep in mind that crashes do happen and drives do go bad.. I actualy use a smaller external hard drive for each customer and project... and keep them in a fire safe for safety.. I just add the cost of the hard drive in on my bill.. Others do things diffrently.. its what works for you.. Personaly I would op for smaller drives incase it dose go bad.. 1000 gb is a lot footage lost..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Make a clone of the C drive in case it falls over you can at least keep working.

Keep the video on a separate drive as Mike says, be it internal, caddy or external, if you have the connector go for SATA much faster then USB.

Blog Entries

Codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And in my expirience f wire drives are a bit better thna usb - more responsive.

Go for as big a HDD as you can afford. I've found that if I delete stuff, I usually regret it afterwards. Also, if you upgrade your camcorder, the new one will inevitabley create far more data per minute's video than the old one. I think that unless you're capturing stuff in real time, any 7200rpm HDD should be good enough, as the limiting factor is the speed of the USB connection. Others with more knowledge than me may differ on this point however.

Blog Entries

I have 5 drives - I think - no 4 - just checked - one is a 10,000 raptor, 2 7000 rpm satas and one is an oldold ide 5400rpm - I can capture in real time to them all.

Skipped frames only happen when the processor hits 100% when i am running lots and capturing.

Data rate for cature from dv/hdv is only about 3.5mByte a sec - so really all drives are fine.

Ditto that point about keeping everything.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Right, i've got myself a 500 gig hard drive.
    I haven't set about it yet, because I'm not sure about the best way to use it.
    Since you're talking about capture and slipping frames etc. Mark, does that mean you're capturing everything from your're camera directly to the external hd?
    Is you're movie editor on the the external hd?

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by canalcoholic View Post
    Go for as big a HDD as you can afford. I've found that if I delete stuff, I usually regret it afterwards. Also, if you upgrade your camcorder, the new one will inevitabley create far more data per minute's video than the old one. I think that unless you're capturing stuff in real time, any 7200rpm HDD should be good enough, as the limiting factor is the speed of the USB connection. Others with more knowledge than me may differ on this point however.
    i would not go for a large drive.. use smaller externals.. think of all you'll loose if it fails.. i dont know why people dont think about that till it happens
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction