Thread: After Effects and Keylight v DV Matte Pro

Default After Effects and Keylight v DV Matte Pro

I'm using Keylight with a green screen chromakey and MPEG files from my FX1 (not a great idea, I know).
    Is DV Matte Pro for After FX worth considering?
    Chummy
    ( spammy looking link removed - mw )
    Last edited by Mark W; 04-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries

I have removed the link you posted as it didnt appear to be a personal site connected with film making.

As for your question I find that a decent key depends on good lighting - get that right first befor spending money on apps.

A good gap between creen and talent is helpful if you have the space and a large enough screen.

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for that. I'm familiar with the issues you mention. I was wondering if you had experience of DV Matte Pro.
    Chummy

( specious link removed for third time - mw )
    Last edited by Mark W; 04-02-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Please dont post your link again.

It is a commercial link - you can post one promotional post with a link in ' pimp the link ' - that is cool.

If you post the link anywhere else I will suspend your access to the forum for a week.

This is my third explanation. I will not discuss this again.

Take it easy, I've only just read your other thread about the link!
    More importantly, I guess you haven't used DV Matte Pro so no probs.
    All the best,
    Chummy

Blog Entries

Throwing money at the probelm is not the answer - most bespoke keying soloutions have left me uinimpressed.

I may not own them but I do go to the occasional trade show and have seen ' miracle ' keyers in action and have nevr been impressed.

As for taking it easy - I am - you aint banned are you ??
    Last edited by Mark W; 04-02-2009 at 06:15 PM.

"Throwing money at the probelm is not the answer - most bespoke keying soloutions have left me uinimpressed.

I may not own them but I do go to the occasional trade show and have seen ' miracle ' keyers in action and have nevr been impressed."

So what is? HDV and chromakey aren't good bedfellows.

This goes back to the original reason for my posts - either a new camera (EX1?) or another capture (uncompressed or alternative compression) method?

Or something else (DV Matte Pro)?

I'm looking for improvement and not sure where to find it!

PS Love the link to zaskarfilms!

Blog Entries

Lols - glad ou like - that site is totally neglected - no upadtes for a year or so. I really need to redo the whole thing.

As for HDV and keying - IT IS FINE - a new camera is not the answer.

To get a drastic improvement you really would need to spend a huge wedge on a cmera that records is a much less compressed format - and even then you will only get a benefit if the studio and lighting are correct.

By huge I mean 20,000 plus.

It is a bit of a black art and practice will bring results - you just gotta fiddle with your set up.

Make sure you WB your camera and in post just fiddle with keying settings untill you find what works for you.

It really helps to make sure the talent is dressed in ' opposite ' colours to the screen too.

Thanks for the tips. I am trying hard and the key is okay but getting solid / decent black inside the mask is not easy, for me at least.
    So I thought I could try DV Matte Pro which supposedly handles the colour sampling of DV / HDV better, a different recording format such as HD CAM from the Sony EX1 or maybe uncompressed video via the component output on the FX1 through a suitable capture card.
    Chummy
    PS By the way, my comment was aimed more at YOUR link in YOUR post (something that you threatened to ban me for), rather than the site itself!!!