Thread: URGENT HELP NEEDED! Footage from SD card / AVCHD

Default URGENT HELP NEEDED! Footage from SD card / AVCHD

I just got a job as a video producer for a company that is just starting to build a video production department. They just got a new camera, a Panasonic AG-HMC150p. It's a 3CCD AVCCAM. I have a lot of experience shooting on these cameras, but I've never captured the footage from one of them before. The only capturing I have ever done is from DV tapes. I am learning that this is very different!

I read the manual and I was able to copy all of the files from the cards. However, now that the files are on the computer, I can't figure out what to do with them! They are not recognized by the computer or Premiere Pro (CS4).

Do I need to convert them? Will Premiere recognize these types of files?

Please help! My boss is really mean, and I have a feeling he is going to fire me if I don't figure this out. :(

Manchester, UK

Whilst not familiar with PP CS4, there is a workflow discussion here:

Hopefully you'll find something you need in there!

Premiere CS4 should handle the AVCHD files just fine, as long as your machine is up to it, quad core cpu recommended. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Default I wish!

No, it doesn't recognize the file type.

I found a transcoder to convert the AVCHD to DVCPro HD. It's working now, except the parameters (?) are off. The videos are showing up very small in Premiere. I have no idea what's going on...

Here is some info on the camera
    Panasonic AG-HMC150 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What project preset are you using in Premiere and what setting are you using on the camera? They will need to match and you need to be using a HDV project. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Your employed as a ' video producer' ??? Did they ask for any qualifications or expirience ??

As I am sure you realise AVCHD cameras are often horrible to work with - these problems are very common.

I am not sure what you mean by ' parameters off ' but I transcode with the excellent and free ' super c ' - try that.

There has to be something else going on, Premiere Pro CS4 (and even Premiere Elements 4 and 7) can edit AVCHD without converting. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

I hope this helps: I too am making some upgrades to my equipment and my knowledge. I just bought the Panasonic HMC 40 version of the same camera. At the same time, I also picked up Adobe Premier Pro CS5. It has no problem loading the video sequences. Perhaps an upgrade from CS4 to CS5 is in order. A cheaper method might also be the on-line software format converter from AVS. It's only about $50 and will convert most encodes I've found.